SQL 2000 Backup

Post by Enerso » Fri, 23 Aug 2002 19:04:46

SQL keeps a log of all .bak and .trn files for appx. 4
weeks.

Is there a way to input a user defined value to force SQL
to keep only the last 7 days worth of .bak and .trn files?

SQL 2000 Backup

Post by Andrew J. Kell » Fri, 23 Aug 2002 19:15:30

SQL doesn't do anything on its own like that.  You must have specified that
somewhere, most likely in a maintenance plan.  Edit the maintenance plan and
change the value there.

--
Andrew J. Kelly   SQL MVP
Targitinteractive, Inc.

Quote:> SQL keeps a log of all .bak and .trn files for appx. 4
> weeks.

> Is there a way to input a user defined value to force SQL
> to keep only the last 7 days worth of .bak and .trn files?

SQL 2000 Backup

Post by Jasper Smit » Fri, 23 Aug 2002 22:12:23

If you mean the number of backups it keeps you can
modify the maintenance paln. If you mean the backup history
you can use sp_delete_backuphistory

where oldest date is when you want to keep history up to. I tend to have a
scheduled job that runs this once a week so I never have more than a month's
worth

HTH
Jasper Smith