restoring over an existing on SQL 6.5 database

restoring over an existing on SQL 6.5 database

Post by Darren » Wed, 16 Feb 2000 04:00:00

is it possible to restore over an existing  SQL 6.5  database, I have the
same database and log( name and size) as when it was backup on the new box.
It has been backup by arcserv from a SQl 6.5 box to another 6.5 box , and
get a name pipe 83 error.
but when i recreate the database on the the new box and set it to load it
work fine.
It seems odd that I cant do this. restore on a database that already exist.
I am new to sql 6.5 and have been using 7.0 for a couple months now and i
have no problem with this in 7.0.
can some one tell me what i am doing wrong here.
Thanks DarrenD

restoring over an existing on SQL 6.5 database

Post by Neil Pik » Thu, 17 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Darren  - yes, it's certainly possible.  Try doing a restore without using
ArcServe - just normal SQL backup

 (Please reply only to newsgroups)
 SQL FAQ (412 entries) see

http://forumsb.compuserve.com/vlforums/UK/default.asp?SRV=MSDevApps
 or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html (+ ntfaq download)
 or http://www.sql-server.co.uk

1. SQL 6.5 DB Restoring vs SQL 7.0 DB Restoring

In MS SQL 6.5, when restoring a database to another server that had expanded
more than once, you had to execute the stored procedure
"sp_help_revdatabase" to ensure that the page sizes were the same.

However, in MS SQL 7.0, the stored procedure "sp_help_revdatabase" is only
included for backward compatibility.

Can I restore a MS SQL 7.0 DB from one server to another server even if the
file sizes of the databases do not match?

Thanks,
Michael

2. sql2k probs on specific node of win2k cluster

3. Error 3242 Attempting to Restore SQL 6.5 Database to SQL 7.0

4. list all tables of a database ?

5. Please help restore database SQL 6.5 to SQL 2000

6. Free Directory of MIS Executives

7. Can you do this in SQL?

8. Restore an SQL 6.5 database on an SQL 2000

9. SQL 6.5 Database Backup and restore to SQL 2000

10. Restore SQL Server 6.5 database to SQL Server 7.0

11. In SQL Server 6.5, how do I recognize an existing database