7.0 has poor performance compared with 6.5

7.0 has poor performance compared with 6.5

Post by scot » Wed, 23 Jun 1999 04:00:00

here is the deal I just upgraded to 7.0 from 6.5sp3.

I am doing this query:

select count(*) from foo

6.5 i get a duration of about 10ms

7.0 i get a duration of about 50ms.

WHAT IS THE DEAL???

7.0 has poor performance compared with 6.5

Post by Tony Rogerso » Thu, 24 Jun 1999 04:00:00

It could be that foo is bigger because of the new way null's are stored.

Do a sp_spaceused on both tables to compare the size.

Also, check that indexes have been applied, on 6.5 the count(*) could have
been done on the index, if indexes don't exist on the 7.0 it will table scan

--
Tony Rogerson MCP,SQL Server MVP
Torver Computer Consultants Ltd.

Home page: www.sql-server.co.uk (under construction)

Quote:> here is the deal I just upgraded to 7.0 from 6.5sp3.

> I am doing this query:

> select count(*) from foo

> 6.5 i get a duration of about 10ms

> 7.0 i get a duration of about 50ms.

> WHAT IS THE DEAL???

7.0 has poor performance compared with 6.5

Post by Scott Presto » Thu, 24 Jun 1999 04:00:00

OK. I left out something.

This is the same database on the same machine. When I toggle from 6.5 to 7.0
the problem exist.

It also exist when I do this in pubs.

select * from pub_info.

Now just for fun I tried the query from Windows2000beta3 to a 7.0 on 2000
and guess what? It tool less time than the 6.5 machine with a twist. This
was only if the query originated from another Windows2000beta3 machine if it
originated from a 4.0 Machine then it took the same "longer" time and 6.5
always won...

- Scott

>It could be that foo is bigger because of the new way null's are stored.

>Do a sp_spaceused on both tables to compare the size.

>Also, check that indexes have been applied, on 6.5 the count(*) could have
>been done on the index, if indexes don't exist on the 7.0 it will table
scan

>--
>Tony Rogerson MCP,SQL Server MVP
>Torver Computer Consultants Ltd.

>Home page: www.sql-server.co.uk (under construction)

>> here is the deal I just upgraded to 7.0 from 6.5sp3.

>> I am doing this query:

>> select count(*) from foo

>> 6.5 i get a duration of about 10ms

>> 7.0 i get a duration of about 50ms.

>> WHAT IS THE DEAL???

7.0 has poor performance compared with 6.5

Post by pitt.. » Sat, 26 Jun 1999 04:00:00

MS addressed some quirky performance issues in 7.0's Service Pack 1.
Also, are you sure you're running in 7.0 mode?

> OK. I left out something.

> This is the same database on the same machine. When I toggle from 6.5
to 7.0
> the problem exist.

> It also exist when I do this in pubs.

> select * from pub_info.

> Now just for fun I tried the query from Windows2000beta3 to a 7.0 on
2000
> and guess what? It tool less time than the 6.5 machine with a twist.
This
> was only if the query originated from another Windows2000beta3
machine if it
> originated from a 4.0 Machine then it took the same "longer" time and
6.5
> always won...

> - Scott

> >It could be that foo is bigger because of the new way null's are
stored.

> >Do a sp_spaceused on both tables to compare the size.

> >Also, check that indexes have been applied, on 6.5 the count(*)
could have
> >been done on the index, if indexes don't exist on the 7.0 it will
table
> scan

> >--
> >Tony Rogerson MCP,SQL Server MVP
> >Torver Computer Consultants Ltd.

> >Home page: www.sql-server.co.uk (under construction)

> >> here is the deal I just upgraded to 7.0 from 6.5sp3.

> >> I am doing this query:

> >> select count(*) from foo

> >> 6.5 i get a duration of about 10ms

> >> 7.0 i get a duration of about 50ms.

> >> WHAT IS THE DEAL???

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

1. 7.0 performance compared to 6.5

I am investigating performance issues on a 5 GB database w/ approximately
100 concurrent users in the process of upgrading from Server 6.5.  Has
anyone else out there dealt a similar situation?  I'm looking for a rough
estimate of the change in performance between the different versions for
this size of database.  Help would be much appreciated, thank you.

David Duke
GoldMine Software

2. FW: Can I use variable substitution in create table sql ?

3. Poor performance in ASP compared to MDX sample application

4. Problems with SQL statement

5. SQL Server 6.5 thru ODBC - poor performance

6. D308-E9AF-4C11 : CONFIRM from pgsql-sql

7. Poor SQL Server 6.5 performance with image datatype

8. Select field from row with max value

9. Poor Performance when INSERTing records to a SQL 6.5 Database

10. SQL Server 6.5 poor insert/update performance when access by terminal servers

11. SQL 6.5 Poor Performance

12. Poor SQL Server 6.5 performance with Image Datatype