Restore 6.5 master database 6.5

Post by Fredri » Fri, 14 Dec 2001 00:18:52

Hi all !

I'm trying to restore the master database on an new server. Version 6.5.

I installed the new server with the same sort order and char set, also the
datafiles for system databases are placed the same om both servers. Then I
copied the backup.dat file to the new server. Then I started the server in
single user mode and used EM to do the restore. On my first try I needed to
expand the master database due to errormessage by the restore process. Then
the restore seems to go well. The problem is that I can't start the server
after the restore is completed!!

Where am I going wrong??

Thanks
Fredrik

Restore 6.5 master database 6.5

Post by Steve Thompso » Fri, 14 Dec 2001 00:28:38

Try the rebuild master utility... I do not believe 6.5 will allow a direct
restore of the master db.

Steve

Quote:> Hi all !

> I'm trying to restore the master database on an new server. Version 6.5.

> I installed the new server with the same sort order and char set, also the
> datafiles for system databases are placed the same om both servers. Then I
> copied the backup.dat file to the new server. Then I started the server in
> single user mode and used EM to do the restore. On my first try I needed
> expand the master database due to errormessage by the restore process.
Then
> the restore seems to go well. The problem is that I can't start the server
> after the restore is completed!!

> Where am I going wrong??

> Thanks
> Fredrik

Restore 6.5 master database 6.5

Post by Fredri » Fri, 14 Dec 2001 15:49:32

Steve, are you saying that if I have a hardware breakdown on my SQL Server
6.5 I can't do a restore of the master db? I would need to manually restore
all my logins etc?
You got me even more confused now but I think that their must be a way to
restore the master db the question i how!

/Fredrik

> Try the rebuild master utility... I do not believe 6.5 will allow a direct
> restore of the master db.

> Steve

> > Hi all !

> > I'm trying to restore the master database on an new server. Version 6.5.

> > I installed the new server with the same sort order and char set, also
the
> > datafiles for system databases are placed the same om both servers. Then
> > copied the backup.dat file to the new server. Then I started the server
in
> > single user mode and used EM to do the restore. On my first try I needed
> > expand the master database due to errormessage by the restore process.
> Then
> > the restore seems to go well. The problem is that I can't start the
server
> > after the restore is completed!!

> > Where am I going wrong??

> > Thanks
> > Fredrik

Restore 6.5 master database 6.5

Post by Tibor Karasz » Fri, 14 Dec 2001 20:26:17

Fredrik,

You definitely should be able to do a restore. what error message do you find in the error log
when you (try to) start SQL Server?

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP

> Steve, are you saying that if I have a hardware breakdown on my SQL Server
> 6.5 I can't do a restore of the master db? I would need to manually restore
> all my logins etc?
> You got me even more confused now but I think that their must be a way to
> restore the master db the question i how!

> /Fredrik

> > Try the rebuild master utility... I do not believe 6.5 will allow a direct
> > restore of the master db.

> > Steve

> > > Hi all !

> > > I'm trying to restore the master database on an new server. Version 6.5.

> > > I installed the new server with the same sort order and char set, also
> the
> > > datafiles for system databases are placed the same om both servers. Then
> > > copied the backup.dat file to the new server. Then I started the server
> in
> > > single user mode and used EM to do the restore. On my first try I needed
> > > expand the master database due to errormessage by the restore process.
> > Then
> > > the restore seems to go well. The problem is that I can't start the
> server
> > > after the restore is completed!!

> > > Where am I going wrong??

> > > Thanks
> > > Fredrik

Restore 6.5 master database 6.5

Post by Fredri » Fri, 14 Dec 2001 22:33:09

I get Error 3403, i've searched BOL to find out what to do. It seem to be
something wrong with the size of the "destination" master db? I quess I
didn't expand it in the same way that the original was expanded. I've tried
to use sp_help_revdatabase to expand the master db the "right" way but still
no luck.
Would very much appreciate if you could give me any more hints.

/Fredrik

Quote:> Fredrik,

> You definitely should be able to do a restore. what error message do you

find in the error log
Quote:> when you (try to) start SQL Server?

http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_ugroup=microsoft.public.sql...

> > Steve, are you saying that if I have a hardware breakdown on my SQL
Server
> > 6.5 I can't do a restore of the master db? I would need to manually
restore
> > all my logins etc?
> > You got me even more confused now but I think that their must be a way
> > restore the master db the question i how!

> > /Fredrik

> > > Try the rebuild master utility... I do not believe 6.5 will allow a
direct
> > > restore of the master db.

> > > Steve

6.5.

> > the
Then
> > in
> > > Then
> > server

Restore 6.5 master database 6.5

Post by Tibor Karasz » Fri, 14 Dec 2001 22:52:06

Fredrik,

Sp_help_revdatabase (the fragment allocation order) *shouldn't* be a problem, as master has data
and log together. Are you on the same service pack level as the backup?

If you have the technet archives, you might want to consider searching those (I assume that
articles are aged out). Presuming that such an archive do exists.

Otherwise, you might want to bite the bullet and contact MS PSS to get help sorting this out. I
recall some strange things regarding restore of master on 6.x. Now, this was a long time ago, so
I don't recall specifics. But I was a bit surprised when reading about it ("oops, problems
restoring master - not good)...

Sorry that I can't be of more help :-(

--

Post by Steve Thompso » Fri, 14 Dec 2001 23:36:20

<<> I don't recall specifics. But I was a bit surprised when reading about
it ("oops, problems

Quote:> restoring master - not good)...>>

That's what I recalled as well. In most master database recovery scenarios
for SQL Server 6.5, that rebuild master was the prefered recovery method.
I'd be glad to be proven wrong :)

Steve

Restore 6.5 master database 6.5

Post by Fredri » Fri, 14 Dec 2001 23:35:44

Thanks anyway for your time Tibor,
I think I will have another go with the Sp_help_revdatabase so see if I
missed out on something.
It's not really a very important server (not in a production enviorment) so
I didn't get fired (yet) anyway.

/Fredrik

Quote:> Fredrik,

> Sp_help_revdatabase (the fragment allocation order) *shouldn't* be a

problem, as master has data
Quote:> and log together. Are you on the same service pack level as the backup?

> If you have the technet archives, you might want to consider searching

those (I assume that
Quote:> articles are aged out). Presuming that such an archive do exists.

> Otherwise, you might want to bite the bullet and contact MS PSS to get

help sorting this out. I
Quote:> recall some strange things regarding restore of master on 6.x. Now, this

was a long time ago, so
Quote:> I don't recall specifics. But I was a bit surprised when reading about it
("oops, problems
> restoring master - not good)...

> Sorry that I can't be of more help :-(

> --
> Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
> Archive at:

http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_ugroup=microsoft.public.sql...

Quote:> > I get Error 3403, i've searched BOL to find out what to do. It seem to
be
> > something wrong with the size of the "destination" master db? I quess I
> > didn't expand it in the same way that the original was expanded. I've
tried
> > to use sp_help_revdatabase to expand the master db the "right" way but
still
> > no luck.
> > Would very much appreciate if you could give me any more hints.

> > /Fredrik

> > "Tibor Karaszi"

> > > Fredrik,

> > > You definitely should be able to do a restore. what error message do
you
> > find in the error log
> > > when you (try to) start SQL Server?

> > > --
> > > Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
> > > Archive at:

http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_ugroup=microsoft.public.sql...

> > Server
> > restore

> > direct

Version
> > 6.5.

> > also
> > Then
> > server
> > needed
> > process.

Restore 6.5 master database 6.5

Post by Dwayne Lanclos [M » Sat, 15 Dec 2001 05:12:46

It would help if we had the information from the SQL errorlog when you
attempt to start the 6.5 server with the restored master database.  Usually
the errorlog gives a good indication of why the server fails to start.  Or
are you getting a Dr. Watson or some other type of error when you attempt
to start the server?

------
Dwayne Lanclos
Microsoft SQL Server Support

When posting, please state the version of SQL Server being used and the
error number/exact error message text received, if any.

--------------------

> Hi all !

> I'm trying to restore the master database on an new server. Version 6.5.

> I installed the new server with the same sort order and char set, also the
> datafiles for system databases are placed the same om both servers. Then I
> copied the backup.dat file to the new server. Then I started the server in
> single user mode and used EM to do the restore. On my first try I needed
> expand the master database due to errormessage by the restore process.
Then
> the restore seems to go well. The problem is that I can't start the server
> after the restore is completed!!

> Where am I going wrong??

> Thanks
> Fredrik

Restore 6.5 master database 6.5

Post by Fredri » Tue, 18 Dec 2001 18:35:49

Dwayne,
I've tried to start SQL Server from Cmd and I get this errormessage:

2001/12/17 10:26:51.66 kernel   Copyright (C) 1988-1994 Microsoft
Corporation.
2001/12/17 10:26:51.67 kernel   All rights reserved.
2001/12/17 10:26:51.67 kernel   Logging SQL Server messages in file
'C:\SQL\LOG\ERRORLOG'
2001/12/17 10:26:51.68 server   Using Critsecs w/ spincount of 4000
2001/12/17 10:26:51.70 kernel   initconfig: number of user connections
limited to 15
2001/12/17 10:26:51.70 kernel   SQL Server is starting at priority class
'normal' with dataserver semaphore = 1 (1 CPU detected, SMPStat=1).
2001/12/17 10:26:51.72 server   LogLRU buffers: 0
2001/12/17 10:26:51.73 kernel   Attempting to initialize Distributed
Transaction Coordinator
2001/12/17 10:26:53.78 kernel   initializing virtual device 0,
c:\sql\data\master.dat
2001/12/17 10:26:53.79 kernel   Opening Master Database ...
2001/12/17 10:26:53.90 spid1    Loading SQL Server's  default sort order and
character set
2001/12/17 10:26:53.93 spid1    Recovering Database 'master'
2001/12/17 10:26:53.95 spid1    Error : 3403, Severity: 22, State: 2
2001/12/17 10:26:53.95 spid1    Rec_init: Found that page 12057 had non-log
object id 12057 while checking Syslogs allocation
2001/12/17 10:26:53.96 spid1    Cannot recover the master datbase; exiting

I get no errormessage when I do the restore.

Thanks
Fredrik

> It would help if we had the information from the SQL errorlog when you
> attempt to start the 6.5 server with the restored master database.
Usually
> the errorlog gives a good indication of why the server fails to start.  Or
> are you getting a Dr. Watson or some other type of error when you attempt
> to start the server?

> ------
> Dwayne Lanclos
> Microsoft SQL Server Support

> Please reply only to the newsgroup so that others can benefit.
> When posting, please state the version of SQL Server being used and the
> error number/exact error message text received, if any.
rights.

> --------------------

> > Hi all !

> > I'm trying to restore the master database on an new server. Version 6.5.

> > I installed the new server with the same sort order and char set, also
the
> > datafiles for system databases are placed the same om both servers. Then
> > copied the backup.dat file to the new server. Then I started the server
in
> > single user mode and used EM to do the restore. On my first try I needed
> > expand the master database due to errormessage by the restore process.
> Then
> > the restore seems to go well. The problem is that I can't start the
server
> > after the restore is completed!!

> > Where am I going wrong??

> > Thanks
> > Fredrik

Restore 6.5 master database 6.5

Post by Dwayne Lanclos [M » Wed, 19 Dec 2001 01:24:02

The VSTART information for one of your databases in sysusages is incorrect.
 Try to start SQL Server from the command prompt with -c -m -T3607 -T4022
and then restore master again.  If this does not work, then you will need
to open a case with Microsoft support as the steps to attempt to correct
this problem are too involved to go over in a newsgroup posting.

------
> [...]

> rights.

> > --------------------

> > > Hi all !

> > > I'm trying to restore the master database on an new server. Version
6.5.

> > > I installed the new server with the same sort order and char set, also
> the
> > > datafiles for system databases are placed the same om both servers.
Then
> > > copied the backup.dat file to the new server. Then I started the
server
> in
> > > single user mode and used EM to do the restore. On my first try I
needed
> > > expand the master database due to errormessage by the restore process.
> > Then
> > > the restore seems to go well. The problem is that I can't start the

1. Master Database Restore in SQL Server 6.5

Hello,

Has anyone successfully restored master database in SQL 6.5?  I've
followed the instructions in Online Books.  I receive error 2140 upon
trying to start the database.

Any help is appreciated.

Laura Liotus

2. SQL*NET

3. SQL Server 6.5 - Master database Restore 3403 Error

4. Am I nuts or......

5. Backup/Restore Master database on SQL 6.5

6. ODBC problems

7. master restore on 6.5

8. Restore of master (6.5) balks

9. After restoring master problems on 6.5

10. Load (restore) SQL 6.5 backup with no master

11. SQL 6.5 Master DB restore

12. cannot restore sql 6.5 master db