Update Log

Post by Jeová Almeid » Thu, 16 Aug 2001 22:35:56

Hello,

I need to read the UPDATEs performed by SQL Server (version 7 or 2000). Is
this information in the transaction log? How can I read it, is there a log
reader or event log or something like that? The problem I'm having is: my
client says she haven't changed some records and I'm sure she have. So I
must prove it.

Please any help or idea would be appreciated,

Jeov

Update Log

Post by Andrew J. Kell » Fri, 17 Aug 2001 00:41:22

The only real way is to use a 3rd party app from www.lumigent.com that can
read the logs if they haven't been truncated or initialized.

--
Andrew J. Kelly,  SQL Server MVP
TargitInteractive

I proudly support the PASS SQL Server user community and its upcoming user
event,
 PASS 2001 North America. For details, visit <http://www.sqlpass.org>
www.sqlpass.org.)

Quote:> Hello,

> I need to read the UPDATEs performed by SQL Server (version 7 or 2000). Is
> this information in the transaction log? How can I read it, is there a log
> reader or event log or something like that? The problem I'm having is: my
> client says she haven't changed some records and I'm sure she have. So I
> must prove it.

> Please any help or idea would be appreciated,

> Jeov

Update Log

Post by Jeová Almeid » Fri, 17 Aug 2001 01:10:00

Thanks, Andrew. I'll take a look at it.
Jeov

> The only real way is to use a 3rd party app from www.lumigent.com that can
> read the logs if they haven't been truncated or initialized.

> --
> Andrew J. Kelly,  SQL Server MVP
> TargitInteractive

> I proudly support the PASS SQL Server user community and its upcoming user
> event,
>  PASS 2001 North America. For details, visit <http://www.sqlpass.org>
> www.sqlpass.org.)

> > Hello,

> > I need to read the UPDATEs performed by SQL Server (version 7 or 2000).
Is
> > this information in the transaction log? How can I read it, is there a
log
> > reader or event log or something like that? The problem I'm having is:
my
> > client says she haven't changed some records and I'm sure she have. So I
> > must prove it.

> > Please any help or idea would be appreciated,

> > Jeov

Update Log

Post by Ron Talmag » Fri, 17 Aug 2001 08:42:47

Jeova,

You can also use the system function fn_dblog(null, null) in SQL Server 2000
to display transaction log information.

Ron
--
Ron Talmage
SQL Server MVP

> The only real way is to use a 3rd party app from www.lumigent.com that can
> read the logs if they haven't been truncated or initialized.

> --
> Andrew J. Kelly,  SQL Server MVP
> TargitInteractive

> I proudly support the PASS SQL Server user community and its upcoming user
> event,
>  PASS 2001 North America. For details, visit <http://www.sqlpass.org>
> www.sqlpass.org.)

> > Hello,

> > I need to read the UPDATEs performed by SQL Server (version 7 or 2000).
Is
> > this information in the transaction log? How can I read it, is there a
log
> > reader or event log or something like that? The problem I'm having is:
my
> > client says she haven't changed some records and I'm sure she have. So I
> > must prove it.

> > Please any help or idea would be appreciated,

> > Jeov

1. Update Log

I'm switching to Postgres from mySQL.

MySQL has an option that allows you to write an update log to disk. It's
basically a text file that contains all of the SQL queries that updated the
database (UPDATE, DELETE, INSERT; not SELECT). We use this to update some
slave servers for non-live replication.

Does PostgreSQL have this ability or something similar?

Hunter

2. Seeking info on data-merging in heterogeneous databases

3. AP/PRO boot problems

4. Technique for data update logging in SQL Server 2000

5. Q: Length() function

6. Web Record Update Logging

7. An Y2K hick-up

8. Insert/update log needed?

9. performance implications of writing insert/update logs to a single table

10. update table w/o updating transaction log?

11. update-delete statements whithout transaction log

12. Sqlclstr.log updated?