A dumb question?

Post by Chris Howel » Fri, 12 Oct 2001 04:26:13

In SQL Server 7.0 SP3, can you full-text search documents that are stored
Text fields?

I've been successful using an Image field on SQL Server 2000 but in SQL 7.0
when I go to define the full-text indexing on a table that uses an Image
field I get the error:

Column 'DOCUMENT' of table '[dbo].[UPLOAD]' cannot be used for full-text
search because it is not a character-based column.

I am under the impression that if I need to store documents (word, pdf,
etc.) in these columns, the columns themselves need to be of a binary type,
no?

Help!

Chris.

A dumb question?

Post by John Kan » Fri, 12 Oct 2001 13:21:38

Hi Chris,
There are no "dumb questions" as an old teacher once told me....
No, SQL Server 7.0 (with any SP) cannot Full-Text index documents stored in
either a column defined with the datatype of IMAGE or TEXT.

This was a new feature added in SQL Server 2000 and is only available in SQL
Server 2000 using columns with datatypes of IMAGE. Yes, the column datatype
must be IMAGE (binary large object) in order to retain the binary format of
different document types, i.e., doc, pdf, etc..
Regards,
John
You assume all risk for your use. ? 2001 Microsoft Corporation.
All rights reserved.

Quote:> In SQL Server 7.0 SP3, can you full-text search documents that are stored
> Text fields?

> I've been successful using an Image field on SQL Server 2000 but in SQL
7.0
> when I go to define the full-text indexing on a table that uses an Image
> field I get the error:

> Column 'DOCUMENT' of table '[dbo].[UPLOAD]' cannot be used for full-text
> search because it is not a character-based column.

> I am under the impression that if I need to store documents (word, pdf,
> etc.) in these columns, the columns themselves need to be of a binary
type,
> no?

> Help!

> Chris.

A dumb question?

Post by Joshua Shar » Sat, 13 Oct 2001 08:28:05

Where are instructions on how to do this, assuming that
I've downloaded the iFilter from the Adobe site?

Thanks in advance,
Joshua Sharf

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Hi Chris,
>There are no "dumb questions" as an old teacher once told
me....
>No, SQL Server 7.0 (with any SP) cannot Full-Text index
documents stored in
>either a column defined with the datatype of IMAGE or
TEXT.

>This was a new feature added in SQL Server 2000 and is

only available in SQL
Quote:>Server 2000 using columns with datatypes of IMAGE. Yes,
the column datatype
>must be IMAGE (binary large object) in order to retain

the binary format of
>different document types, i.e., doc, pdf, etc..
>Regards,
>John
confers no rights.
>You assume all risk for your use. ? 2001 Microsoft
Corporation.
>All rights reserved.

>> In SQL Server 7.0 SP3, can you full-text search

documents that are stored
Quote:>> Text fields?

>> I've been successful using an Image field on SQL Server
2000 but in SQL
>7.0
>> when I go to define the full-text indexing on a table
that uses an Image
>> field I get the error:

>> Column 'DOCUMENT' of table '[dbo].[UPLOAD]' cannot be
used for full-text
>> search because it is not a character-based column.

>> I am under the impression that if I need to store

documents (word, pdf,
Quote:>> etc.) in these columns, the columns themselves need to
be of a binary
>type,
>> no?

>> Help!

>> Chris.

>.

A dumb question?

Post by John Kan » Sat, 13 Oct 2001 12:15:29

Hi Joshua,

Since, this is Adobe's PDF Ifilter, you might want to check out the
following links:
http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/12b42.htm and
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=798 and
To install Adobe PDF IFilter 4.1...

Regards,
John
You assume all risk for your use. ? 2001 Microsoft Corporation.
All rights reserved.

Where are instructions on how to do this, assuming that
I've downloaded the iFilter from the Adobe site?

Thanks in advance,
Joshua Sharf

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Hi Chris,
>There are no "dumb questions" as an old teacher once told
me....
>No, SQL Server 7.0 (with any SP) cannot Full-Text index
documents stored in
>either a column defined with the datatype of IMAGE or
TEXT.

>This was a new feature added in SQL Server 2000 and is

only available in SQL
Quote:>Server 2000 using columns with datatypes of IMAGE. Yes,
the column datatype
>must be IMAGE (binary large object) in order to retain

the binary format of
>different document types, i.e., doc, pdf, etc..
>Regards,
>John
confers no rights.
>You assume all risk for your use. ? 2001 Microsoft
Corporation.
>All rights reserved.

>> In SQL Server 7.0 SP3, can you full-text search

documents that are stored
Quote:>> Text fields?

>> I've been successful using an Image field on SQL Server
2000 but in SQL
>7.0
>> when I go to define the full-text indexing on a table
that uses an Image
>> field I get the error:

>> Column 'DOCUMENT' of table '[dbo].[UPLOAD]' cannot be
used for full-text
>> search because it is not a character-based column.

>> I am under the impression that if I need to store

documents (word, pdf,
Quote:>> etc.) in these columns, the columns themselves need to
be of a binary
>type,
>> no?

>> Help!

>> Chris.

>.

A dumb question?

Post by Hilary Cotte » Fri, 19 Oct 2001 13:11:18

here are some notes on how to get this working.

if you are using the image datatype you can store documents of different
types in these columns and have MSSearch apply the IFIlter to the documents
stored in that column.  So you could store PDF's, Word Documents, Excel
SpreadSheets,  email messages from Outlook, Outlook Express Newsgroup
postings, RTF's, AutoCad drawings, etc all in the same table, and the same
column, i.e. one row's image column could contain a PDF, the next row a Word
Doc, a third row a AutoCad drawing, the fourth row a text file. In short
anything that an IFilter is written for.   However you must tell MSSearch
what type of document is in the image column for that row.  The way you
communicate to MSSearch what your document type for each row is, is by
pointing towards a column that contains the extension for that document.
The length of this column should be char(3)

Here is a sample table illustrating this

      PK
     IMAGE_COL (abridged)
     type_colname
     Document type

      1
     0x46726F6D3A20224D696B6520
     Nws
     Outlook Express News post

      2
     0x0D0A0D0A48696C6172792
     Txt
     Text file

      3
     4469636B2053616C69676
     Htm
     Html page

Syntax is:

Sp_FullText_column 'table_name','column_name', 0x041d, 'column_type_name'

If you do not specify an extension in the type_colname argument the text
IFilter (query.dll) will be applied.  The text IFilter has an algorithm
built into it that will attempt to do word breaking on the IFilter, but will
give up if it can't discern words.

--
Hilary
www.iisfaq.com

Where are instructions on how to do this, assuming that
I've downloaded the iFilter from the Adobe site?

Thanks in advance,
Joshua Sharf

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Hi Chris,
>There are no "dumb questions" as an old teacher once told
me....
>No, SQL Server 7.0 (with any SP) cannot Full-Text index
documents stored in
>either a column defined with the datatype of IMAGE or
TEXT.

>This was a new feature added in SQL Server 2000 and is

only available in SQL
Quote:>Server 2000 using columns with datatypes of IMAGE. Yes,
the column datatype
>must be IMAGE (binary large object) in order to retain

the binary format of
>different document types, i.e., doc, pdf, etc..
>Regards,
>John
confers no rights.