Server Upgrade from Alpha to Intel

Post by Luke » Tue, 15 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Any suggestions about upgrading SQL Server 6.5 on Alpha machine to SQL
Server 7.0 on Intel machine?

As there is not enough space on the current Alpha machine, we can not
upgrade SQL Server 6.5 to SQL Server7.0 on this machine. But we have enough
space on the new Intel machine.

Thanks.

Luke

Server Upgrade from Alpha to Intel

Post by B Bloun » Tue, 15 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Use the SQL Server Upgrade wizard to do a two machine upgrade.  There is an
article on the microsoft website in the SQL Server section and there is a
reference to this in Books on Line.

Server Upgrade from Alpha to Intel

Post by Mike » Thu, 17 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Any suggestions about upgrading SQL Server 6.5 on Alpha machine to SQL
> Server 7.0 on Intel machine?

> As there is not enough space on the current Alpha machine, we can not
> upgrade SQL Server 6.5 to SQL Server7.0 on this machine. But we have
enough
> space on the new Intel machine.

1)  Upgrading to 7.0 is not a no brainer.  There are changes and possible
issues in the version change.  Make sure you test before rolling out the new
server if you do upgrade.

2) Unless the Intel box is quite a machine, it is likely you will notice a
decrease in performance. Even at a lower clock rate the Alpha box can
outperform many Intel configurations.

3) Why not just add some drive to the Alpha to buy you some time to get your
migration right?

good luck.

1. Upgrade 6.0 ALPHA to 7.0 INTEL

Im am trying to upgrade my Databases from a ALPHA machine running SQL server
6.0 SP3 to a INTEL machine running 7.0 SP1. The upgrade wizard tels me he
can not upgrade between sql versions running on a different processor type.
How can I upgrade my 6.0 to 7.0 ?

Thanks in advance
--

Herby Roeges
OCAS N.V.

Tel : +32-9-345.13.37
Fax :  +32-9-345.12.04

2. good replication alternative

3. Upgrading from Alpha 6.5 to Intel 7.0

4. test before i send

5. Help - Upgrade from a DEC Alpha to Intel!

6. How to remove blanks or spaces from output

7. Remote login from SQL Server 4.21a (Alpha) to SQL Server 6.5 (Intel)

8. Help with formating a query and then email it out.

9. Sql Server on ALPHA to INTEL

10. Replication From Alpha server to Intel

11. Alpha vs Intel Processor for SQL Server Application

12. MS SQL server 6.0 - alpha to intel

13. Port Alpha SQL Server Devices to Intel?