SQL server 7.0 linked to Oracle 8.0

Post by Walter Dyc » Fri, 23 Mar 2001 21:51:46

I'm doing some testing on linked servers. I have 2 MS SQL server and 1 Oracle 8 server. The link between the two SQL server is not a problem. For the oracle server it seems to be. I can see the Oracle server under the item 'linked servers'. I even can see the tables. But if I try to do a query on it, it always gives back an error.
Example query

select * from ORA1.Tables.sales

gives a error

SERVER:MSG 208, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
Invalid object name 'ORA1.tables.info'

Can someone help with this

thank you

SQL server 7.0 linked to Oracle 8.0

Post by Narayana Vyas Kondredd » Fri, 23 Mar 2001 22:34:09

I don't have an Oracle system handy right now, but I faced a similar problem sometime ago. I think you have to put double quotes around the Oracle table's owner name. Try it, all the best.
--
HTH,
Vyas

SQL server 7.0 linked to Oracle 8.0

Post by Dan Guzma » Fri, 23 Mar 2001 23:04:58

You might try specifying the object name in upper case.

Hope this helps.

-----------------------
SQL FAQ links (courtesy  Neil Pike):

 (faqxxx.zip in lib 7)
 or www.sqlserverfaq.com
 or www.mssqlserver.com/faq
-----------------------

I'm doing some testing on linked servers. I have 2 MS SQL server and 1
Oracle 8 server. The link between the two SQL server is not a problem. For
the oracle server it seems to be. I can see the Oracle server under the item
'linked servers'. I even can see the tables. But if I try to do a query on
it, it always gives back an error.
Example query

select * from ORA1.Tables.sales

gives a error

SERVER:MSG 208, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
Invalid object name 'ORA1.tables.info'

Can someone help with this

thank you

1. SQL 7.0 SP1 Linked to Oracle 8.0

Hi,

I am trying to setup a linked server but I am getting error 7399. I have
Net8 (8.0.5.0.0) installed in SQL 7.0 server.

Has any one had luck with this combination?. It seems so straight
forward and still it does not work.

I am using the same name I use in HOST STRING field of SQL Plus for Data
Source in linked server configuration. I am leaving provider string
blank.

Is this the correct way?. Please help.

Thanks

2. ORACLE SQLFORMS GLOBAL VARIABLES

3. Problem: SQL Server 7.0/Microsoft Query 8.0/SQL Server ODBC driver on MacOS 9

4. PXW(4.5)--> Saving changes to the form I'm in.

5. Data transformation from SQL Server 7.0 to Oracle 8.0 using DTS

6. How to check for unique values when nulls are allowed

7. Data Transformation from SQL Server 7.0 to Oracle 8.0

8. ODBC and AS/400

9. Oracle 8.0/SQL Server 7.0 DBA-Contract

10. Data Transformation from MS SQL Server 7.0 to Oracle 8.0 using DTS

11. Cannot create a view with a linked server SQL Server 8.0

12. Problem SQL server 8.0 to 7.0

13. Oracle 8.0 Vs Sql 7.0