DTS Buffer size problem

Post by Jeff Sprin » Thu, 18 Apr 2002 05:57:06

I've got a pretty large text file, imported into Excel,
that I'm attempting to import into an SQL Server 2000
table. The table uses varchar columns for misc data and
text columns for long text data (7 of these).

When I use DTS to import the data I get a message Error
at Source for Row number nn. Errors encountered so far in
this task: 1.
 Data for source column 62 ('TEXT5') is too large for the
specified buffer size.
 Data for source column 58 ('TEXT4') is too large for the
specified buffer size.

Columns 62 and 58 both contain more than 255 characters,
which is why they're going into a text field. Is there
some way that I can increase the import buffer size?

DTS Buffer size problem

Post by Allan Mitchel » Thu, 18 Apr 2002 06:42:08

Why do you need a TEXT field for 255 chars ?

i think your fix is here though

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q281517

--

Allan Mitchell
www.allisonmitchell.com

Quote:> I've got a pretty large text file, imported into Excel,
> that I'm attempting to import into an SQL Server 2000
> table. The table uses varchar columns for misc data and
> text columns for long text data (7 of these).

> When I use DTS to import the data I get a message Error
> at Source for Row number nn. Errors encountered so far in
> this task: 1.
>  Data for source column 62 ('TEXT5') is too large for the
> specified buffer size.
>  Data for source column 58 ('TEXT4') is too large for the
> specified buffer size.

> Columns 62 and 58 both contain more than 255 characters,
> which is why they're going into a text field. Is there
> some way that I can increase the import buffer size?

DTS Buffer size problem

Post by CR » Sat, 20 Apr 2002 23:19:36

Jeff,

You'll find your answer here:

     http://www.sqlserver.co.nz/content/content.asp?article=98

I had same problem and information in the above link solved it.
Chuck

Quote:> I've got a pretty large text file, imported into Excel,
> that I'm attempting to import into an SQL Server 2000
> table. The table uses varchar columns for misc data and
> text columns for long text data (7 of these).

> When I use DTS to import the data I get a message Error
> at Source for Row number nn. Errors encountered so far in
> this task: 1.
>  Data for source column 62 ('TEXT5') is too large for the
> specified buffer size.
>  Data for source column 58 ('TEXT4') is too large for the
> specified buffer size.

> Columns 62 and 58 both contain more than 255 characters,
> which is why they're going into a text field. Is there
> some way that I can increase the import buffer size?

1. DTS Data Pump Buffer size error

Using DTS and SQL 7 the DTS data pump generates the
following error: Data for source column is too large for
the specified buffersize.  We can get it to work by
chopping off the data in the offending field (to about 512
characters of text) but it would be much better if we
could just change the buffer size.  Anyone know where we
can change the buffer size for the dts data pump?  We've
looked for months and still no luck.

2. Paradox Runtime 3.0 problems

3. DTS Error 80040E21: Data for source column is too large for the specified buffer size

4. Restrict users by records

5. Buffer size error in DTS package

6. Oracle7 vs. Oracle8 vs. Oracle8i

7. DTS: Row is too large for specified buffer size

8. Top Ten Errors In Data Wareousing

9. DTS: Data pump Task: Fetch Buffer Size

10. DTS from Excel: Buffer Size

11. buffer size error in a DTS package

12. DTS buffer size error

13. Fetch Buffer Size and Insert Batch Size, Performance