MS-SQL 2000 Enterprise edition vs. Standard Edition

MS-SQL 2000 Enterprise edition vs. Standard Edition

Post by B » Thu, 04 Apr 2002 05:03:33



I've been comparing both editions from Microsoft's website and I
pretty much understand all the differences. However, I have a question
about the Online Backup feature.
For what I understand, the standard edition has to be offline to
execute backups and doesn't support differential backups.

- Did I misunderstand the chart?
- If no, what are the consequences on the backup strategy?
- Does it mean that we have to take all databases offline everytime we
want to back them up?

 
 
 

MS-SQL 2000 Enterprise edition vs. Standard Edition

Post by BP Margoli » Thu, 04 Apr 2002 06:18:15


That does not correspond with my understanding of the differences between
the Enterprise Edition and the Standard Edition of SQL Server 2000. Could
you post the URL that indicates that the Standard Edition of SQL Server 2000
does not support either online BACKUP's or differential backups ?

Are you perhaps confusing either failover support and/or log shipping with
backups?

-------------------------------------------
BP Margolin
Please reply only to the newsgroups.
When posting, inclusion of SQL (CREATE TABLE ..., INSERT ..., etc.) which
can be cut and pasted into Query Analyzer is appreciated.


Quote:> I've been comparing both editions from Microsoft's website and I
> pretty much understand all the differences. However, I have a question
> about the Online Backup feature.
> For what I understand, the standard edition has to be offline to
> execute backups and doesn't support differential backups.

> - Did I misunderstand the chart?
> - If no, what are the consequences on the backup strategy?
> - Does it mean that we have to take all databases offline everytime we
> want to back them up?


 
 
 

MS-SQL 2000 Enterprise edition vs. Standard Edition

Post by Benoit Marti » Thu, 04 Apr 2002 09:43:23


I looked up the difference between the 2 versions of SQL server at
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/evaluation/features/choosing.asp
I saw the backup part when clicking on the "High Availability" link...

Also, is there a difference in the number of simultaneous connections
between the 2 versions? If yes, what are the limitations of the standard
version?

*** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com ***
Don't just participate in USENET...get rewarded for it!

 
 
 

MS-SQL 2000 Enterprise edition vs. Standard Edition

Post by BP Margoli » Thu, 04 Apr 2002 12:22:42


Benoit,

Thanks for the URL reference.

I can certainly understand the confusion when I go to the site. However, the
intent was that Log Shipping and Failover Clustering are only available in
the SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition. One can definitely do online backups
with SQL Server 2000 Standard Edition.

You might surf over to:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/arch...
ar_ts_1cdv.asp

This is from the SQL Server 2000 Books Online. You can download the SQL
Server 2000 Books Online from:
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techinfo/productdoc/2000/books.asp

-------------------------------------------
BP Margolin
Please reply only to the newsgroups.
When posting, inclusion of SQL (CREATE TABLE ..., INSERT ..., etc.) which
can be cut and pasted into Query Analyzer is appreciated.


Quote:> I looked up the difference between the 2 versions of SQL server at
> http://www.microsoft.com/sql/evaluation/features/choosing.asp
> I saw the backup part when clicking on the "High Availability" link...

> Also, is there a difference in the number of simultaneous connections
> between the 2 versions? If yes, what are the limitations of the standard
> version?

> *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com ***
> Don't just participate in USENET...get rewarded for it!

 
 
 

MS-SQL 2000 Enterprise edition vs. Standard Edition

Post by Benoit Marti » Thu, 04 Apr 2002 12:31:24


thanks a lot BP for the quick answer and the related links

Benoit

*** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com ***
Don't just participate in USENET...get rewarded for it!

 
 
 

MS-SQL 2000 Enterprise edition vs. Standard Edition

Post by BP Margoli » Thu, 04 Apr 2002 12:50:32


Benoit,

Thanks for pointing out the confusion. I've communicated what you found to
Microsoft, and it is being looked at and, hopefully, changed   ;-)

BPM


Quote:> thanks a lot BP for the quick answer and the related links

> Benoit

> *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com ***
> Don't just participate in USENET...get rewarded for it!

 
 
 

MS-SQL 2000 Enterprise edition vs. Standard Edition

Post by Randy Dye » Thu, 04 Apr 2002 14:23:02


I use both the standard and enterprise editions at home and at work
and both support online backups: complete, differential, transaction,
and file/filegroup. Yes, the enterprise editions does support some
things that the other editions doesn't but those items are: failover,
log shipping, parallel dbcc, parallel create index, indexed views,
federated databases, larger memory, ect. usually items you would only
find in a large database.

> I've been comparing both editions from Microsoft's website and I
> pretty much understand all the differences. However, I have a question
> about the Online Backup feature.
> For what I understand, the standard edition has to be offline to
> execute backups and doesn't support differential backups.

> - Did I misunderstand the chart?
> - If no, what are the consequences on the backup strategy?
> - Does it mean that we have to take all databases offline everytime we
> want to back them up?