calling Oracle APIs from SQL SERVER

Post by bruc » Fri, 07 Mar 2003 22:23:59

I have a linked server set up and I can query the tables
just fine. Here is an example of my syntax
linked_server..schema.SHOP_API.Get_Qty_Demand
(PART_NO,CONTRACT) AS DEMAND_SHOP_ORDERS

the name of the procedure is 'SHOP_API' and the name of
the function within the procedure is Get_QTY_DEMAND.
I am trying to call this function to retrieve the value
that this function gives.
I get an error saying the I have too many prefixes.

1. Changing from direct Btrieve API calls to SQL calls

At the moment I use direct Btrieve API calls to my data.
The data file paths are hard coded into the program.

I am hoping to migrate the applications to SQL calls and have 2 questions if
someone can help me.

1. When a program starts, it reads a record in a file on their local hard
drive and this tells the program which drive to use for all subsequent data
accesses.
i.e. It reads "C" or "G"
This way the programs normally access data on the file server but
I can switch them to using only local files for development / testing.
With SQL using DSN and named databases is there some simple way of getting
the same functionality?

2. Is there any standard layout of the directories, that anyone would care
recommend?

i.e.
root\application\data\ddf
or
root\application\ddf\data

or what?

How would you incorporate different year directories into this schema?

root\application\ddf\year ??

How do I put all this into a named database?

Any Ideas?

TIA

Eoin Fitzpatrick, Dublin

2. derived members

3. FUNNY SQL Server Stored Procedure called via ODBC API

4. JPEG pictures in Filemaker

5. Install SQL Server odbc driver by calling API functions

6. Maintenance Plan Not Deleting Old Backups

7. Call to SQLGetData - Accessing Image data through ODBC API from a SQL Server 6.5 DB

8. embedded passwords

9. Calling API functions from SQL Server...

10. PRB: ODBC API Calls crash SQL Server on Failure

11. Server 7.3.4: Preconditions for nonblocking API-Calls (example:NonBlk.C)

12. OCX for Oracle Call Interface (Direct OCI API)