6.5 will not install?

Post by Brett Montgomer » Thu, 04 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I am trying to install 6.5 on a new Compaq 6000.  It has NT 4 SP4.  This is
a new sever and is getting a fresh install. Should not be a problem, right.
I go through the install and enter in all of my required information.  This
works fine.  It copies the files and starts the install. Sql creates the
master db, creates the entries in the control panel, and then tries to
verify it's state.  It stalls here saying, "The SQL Server installation
could not be successfully completed. Setup could not connect to the SQL
Server.   OK   Exit to WindowsNT."  I am using the Administrator login and I
have setup SQL before, on different machines, on this network.  I have
verified that the administrator login has all of the proper rights and still
nothing?  I am researching this and thought I would see if any of you have
had the same problem before?

I may just be having a brain lapse, but it would not be the first time.
Thanks for your time,

Brett

6.5 will not install?

Post by Tony » Thu, 04 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Bret:

     Are you using the same name for your SQL server as that of your NT Server?
When you say that you are using the Administrator login----do you mean for the
Executive Service to log on with this account?  Have you tried selecting to "log
on locally" just to simplify the equation for argument's sake?

--Tony

6.5 will not install?

Post by Brett Montgomer » Thu, 04 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>     Are you using the same name for your SQL server as that of your NT

Server?

Well, I am not using the Enterprise editions of either product.  I have
WindowsNT and SQL 6.5.  As far as I know, I have the normal products. It is
not NT Terminal server or anything.  So if there is some more detail I could
find, let me know. I have both CDs and they appears not to have any special
marking on them.

Quote:>    When you say that you are using the Administrator login----do you mean
for the
>    Executive Service to log on with this account?  Have you tried
selecting to "log
>    on locally" just to simplify the equation for argument's sake?

Yes, I have selected the "log on locally" option for the SQL Executive
service and this does not seem to make a difference.

What I ment before, is that when I start the install, I log into the network
as the Administrator. So I believe that I have all rights for anything that
I might encounter as far as permissions would go. I feel for some reason,
that if I can create the master db and then I can not find it, I thought it
was probably a permissions issue. But everyone has full rights for now and I
have checked to make sure that the Admin login has the rights to start up as
a service. I have just never had this problem with the install not working.
I have had problems after the install, but the install itself always worked.
I hope I understood the question and I have answered it correctly?

Thanks
Brett

6.5 will not install?

Post by Tony » Thu, 04 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Brett:

     At this point, I believe that you are dealing with a corrupted file or
registry entry which is preventing you from establishing a connection, and that
this does not boil down to a rights issue.  Have you been using the SQL
uninstall (in the SQL Setup program) to uninstall SQL 6.5 each time before
trying to reinstall SQL?  This is a very important step.
     If you have indeed been uninstalling SQL from the SQL setup program before
trying to reinstall SQL, then you can perform one of the following two options:
(1) You will either have to maually delete any remaining SQL files and SQL
registry entries (see the following web page for directions:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/sql/content/setup/setup5.asp).  (2) Or you
can whack all files on the server (since this is a totally new installation) and
reinstall NT from scratch and then try and install SQL 6.5.

--Tony

6.5 will not install?

Post by Brett Montgomer » Thu, 04 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Tony ,

Quote:>     At this point, I believe that you are dealing with a corrupted file or
>registry entry which is preventing you from establishing a connection, and
that
>this does not boil down to a rights issue.  Have you been using the SQL
>uninstall (in the SQL Setup program) to uninstall SQL 6.5 each time before
>trying to reinstall SQL?  This is a very important step.

It does not give me that option. When I attempt to reinstall SQL or
un-install SQL, I only get the first three options, Install SQL Server and
client, just client and the other option.  It does not have the "remove sql"
option available. It is greyed out. I have gone into the reistry and removed
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSSQLServer and
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSSQLServer keys. Then
deleted the Mssql directory.  When I reinstall, it fails at the same place.
It still does not create the MSSQL directory, but it does create the
services entrys.

Quote:> If you have indeed been uninstalling SQL from the SQL setup program before
>trying to reinstall SQL, then you can perform one of the following two
>(1) You will either have to maually delete any remaining SQL files and SQL
>registry entries (see the following web page for directions:
>http://support.microsoft.com/support/sql/content/setup/setup5.asp).  (2) Or
you
>can whack all files on the server (since this is a totally new
installation) and
>reinstall NT from scratch and then try and install SQL 6.5.

Thanks, I think that you are on the right path. I am going to reinstall NT
next.  I did not think about it being a dll issue.  I really though I was
having a brain lapse and I was just missing something. I will let you know
what happens after the re-install of NT.

Thanks
Brett

6.5 will not install?

Post by Tony » Thu, 04 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Brett:

     You mentioned that the "Remove SQL" option was grayed out.  I suppose that
was true only because it was never fully installed successfully.
     Well, since you have edited the registry and still have not had any
success, it sounds like reinstalling everything from scratch will be the next
thing to do.  Let me know how it turns out.

--Tony

6.5 will not install?

Post by Brett Montgomer » Thu, 04 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Tony

I finally bit the bullet and called Microsoft.  I spent the last few hours
working with one of their techs and she was great. We tried everything under
the sun get this install to work.  She spent a lot of time trying to get SQL
started, but it just did not want to find the master data base. It kept
stating that the path could not be found. She was able to get sql installed
from a command line.  This allowed the error logs to generate some info for
us. After the install said it completed for the first time, we could
un-install SQL from the command line.  We attempted to install and
un-install  SQL several more time. They all failed to start SQL normally.
She finally had me install SQL on my server with all of the default
settings.  I was changing the master device to 50 meg and the Character set
to 850 Multilingual. With the defaults settings, the install completed
successfully !?!    After all of this, she had me go back and rebuild master
with my settings.  This took about 20 minutes to change the master db.  But
so far, it all appears to be working as I need it to.

After all of this, I am still not sure what the exact problem is.  But the
tech felt that this might be a problem with the Character set to 850
Multilingual initial install and possibly the Compaq dual xeon processors
?!?  So, for now, I am really unsure about this, but I will dig into this
more. However, this appears to be the answer, sort of.

Thanks for all of the help and I will try to let you know the final results.

Brett

6.5 will not install?

Post by Tibor Karasz » Fri, 05 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Brett,

This _might_ be related to a timing problem.
Setup starts SQL Server in single user mode, and tries to connect to it
through ISQL.
But: a startup sp will execute and steal the only connection available.
I didn't find any note in TechNet, but it could explain the fact the
default was OK, but using 850 (which requires one more step during install)
fails.

Guessing.....
--

MCSE, MCSD, MCT, SQL Server MVP
Cornerstone Sweden AB

>Tony

>I finally bit the bullet and called Microsoft.  I spent the last few hours
>working with one of their techs and she was great. We tried everything
under
>the sun get this install to work.  She spent a lot of time trying to get
SQL
>started, but it just did not want to find the master data base. It kept
>stating that the path could not be found. She was able to get sql installed
>from a command line.  This allowed the error logs to generate some info for
>us. After the install said it completed for the first time, we could
>un-install SQL from the command line.  We attempted to install and
>un-install  SQL several more time. They all failed to start SQL normally.
>She finally had me install SQL on my server with all of the default
>settings.  I was changing the master device to 50 meg and the Character set
>to 850 Multilingual. With the defaults settings, the install completed
>successfully !?!    After all of this, she had me go back and rebuild
master
>with my settings.  This took about 20 minutes to change the master db.  But
>so far, it all appears to be working as I need it to.

>After all of this, I am still not sure what the exact problem is.  But the
>tech felt that this might be a problem with the Character set to 850
>Multilingual initial install and possibly the Compaq dual xeon processors
>?!?  So, for now, I am really unsure about this, but I will dig into this
>more. However, this appears to be the answer, sort of.

>Thanks for all of the help and I will try to let you know the final
results.

>Brett

6.5 will not install?

Post by Geoff Bea » Fri, 05 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Just a wild one, but were you setting the server up of the network, with out
a network card installed ??

As mentioned before, setup uses ISQL to re-index tables to the appropriate
Sort order  after SQL Server is installed. ISQL uses a network connection,
so if networking is not installed the connection fails.

Just a thought...
Cheers
Geoff

--
Geoff Beal M.C.S.E.
Forcefield Computing Ltd.

>Brett,

>This _might_ be related to a timing problem.
>Setup starts SQL Server in single user mode, and tries to connect to it
>through ISQL.
>But: a startup sp will execute and steal the only connection available.
>I didn't find any note in TechNet, but it could explain the fact the
>default was OK, but using 850 (which requires one more step during install)
>fails.

>Guessing.....
>--

>MCSE, MCSD, MCT, SQL Server MVP
>Cornerstone Sweden AB
>Please do not respond by e-mail unless explicitly asked for.

>>Tony

>>I finally bit the bullet and called Microsoft.  I spent the last few hours
>>working with one of their techs and she was great. We tried everything
>under
>>the sun get this install to work.  She spent a lot of time trying to get
>SQL
>>started, but it just did not want to find the master data base. It kept
>>stating that the path could not be found. She was able to get sql
installed
>>from a command line.  This allowed the error logs to generate some info
for
>>us. After the install said it completed for the first time, we could
>>un-install SQL from the command line.  We attempted to install and
>>un-install  SQL several more time. They all failed to start SQL normally.
>>She finally had me install SQL on my server with all of the default
>>settings.  I was changing the master device to 50 meg and the Character
set
>>to 850 Multilingual. With the defaults settings, the install completed
>>successfully !?!    After all of this, she had me go back and rebuild
>master
>>with my settings.  This took about 20 minutes to change the master db.
But
>>so far, it all appears to be working as I need it to.

>>After all of this, I am still not sure what the exact problem is.  But the
>>tech felt that this might be a problem with the Character set to 850
>>Multilingual initial install and possibly the Compaq dual xeon processors
>>?!?  So, for now, I am really unsure about this, but I will dig into this
>>more. However, this appears to be the answer, sort of.

>>Thanks for all of the help and I will try to let you know the final
>results.

>>Brett

6.5 will not install?

Post by Brett Montgomer » Fri, 05 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Tibor  and  Tony,
Thanks for all of the help.  It was appreciated.

Tibor, thanks for your additional comments on the possible problem.  The
guess you have listed is still a better guess than I have ended up with.

Thanks for the help guys.

Brett

Quote:>Brett,

>This _might_ be related to a timing problem.
>Setup starts SQL Server in single user mode, and tries to connect to it
>through ISQL.
>But: a startup sp will execute and steal the only connection available.
>I didn't find any note in TechNet, but it could explain the fact the
>default was OK, but using 850 (which requires one more step during install)
>fails.

>Guessing.....
>--

6.5 will not install?

Post by Brett Montgomer » Fri, 05 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Thanks for the thought Geoff,
This might have something to do with it and it might not.  Since we have not
really pin-pointed the exact problem, I am still open to any ideas.  The
server actually has two nic cards in it.  The first one is from Compaq and
it has dual ports. The additional nic card is a single port Intel card.
Both of the ports on the first card are in use and have RJ-45 connections to
the network. The additional card had a terminator in it.  The Server is on
the network and the nic cards are working. But, this is the first box I have
ever installed SQL on that has two nic cards. This may also be another
thought as to the real problem.

Thanks for the extra information, it gives me more information than I had
before.

Brett

6.5 will not install?

Post by Kwan Che » Fri, 12 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Geoff,

I have this problem, but  I simply ignore the problem without rerun
the setup.  Now, the server seems to be OK.  I can drop and restore
msdb from backup.  Should I reinstall SP5?  What is the best solution
to the problem you have menioned?

Thanks.....

On Thu, 4 Mar 1999 14:03:33 -0000, "Geoff Beal"

>Just a wild one, but were you setting the server up of the network, with out
>a network card installed ??

>As mentioned before, setup uses ISQL to re-index tables to the appropriate
>Sort order  after SQL Server is installed. ISQL uses a network connection,
>so if networking is not installed the connection fails.

>Just a thought...
>Cheers
>Geoff

6.5 will not install?

Post by Geoff Bea » Fri, 12 Mar 1999 04:00:00

The quickest way to install SQL Server on a non-networked server is to
install the "MS Loopback adapter" network card type. This is a spoof adapter
that supports all network protocols, allowing development on standalone
machines and laptops etc.

If you have already had a failed installation of SQL Server, you will need
to go into the registry and remove the following key:
HKLM\software\microsoft\mssqlserver
setup should complete without problems.

Cheers
Geoff