TCP ports used by SQL Server to comunicate with clients and vice-versa

TCP ports used by SQL Server to comunicate with clients and vice-versa

Post by Carlos Lim » Sat, 15 May 1999 04:00:00

I have to configure a firewall that is between a SQL Server 6.5 and a Web
Server. The goal is to open only the TCP ports needed by the ODBC
connections. By default there is only the 1433 port. I asked the Portuguese
Microsoft Technical Support and they told me that 1433 port is enough. But I
opened only that port on the firewall in the 2 ways and I had a connection
error. I opened almost all ports on the SQL Server side and I had success.
Can anybody help me on this?
Thanks on advance!

TCP ports used by SQL Server to comunicate with clients and vice-versa

Post by Gert Draper » Mon, 17 May 1999 04:00:00

Q.   How do I connect to SQL Server through a firewall?
(v1.0 29.10.1998)

A. Basically you have to open up the ports that SQL Server uses.  If you've
done this and it still doesn't work then look at the firewall logs to see
what packets it is dropping or do a network trace either side of the
firewall to see what packets are not getting through.  (You may want to
disable/allow all through the firewall during testing to see what extra
packets are allowed through).

Which ports to open depends on the net-lib you are using :-

For tcp-ip sockets the default port for SQL Server is 1433.

For multi-protocol (rpc) the ports are normally variable, but you can fix
them.  See Q164667 in the MS knowledgebase for details.

For named-pipes over ip 137/138/139 are used.  As these are the same ones
used for file/print it is not recommended you allow these through the
firewall.

1. TCP ports used by SQL Server to comunicate with clients and vice-versa

I have to configure a firewall that is between a SQL Server 6.5 and a Web
Server. The goal is to open only the TCP ports needed by the ODBC
connections. By default there is only the 1433 port. I asked the Portuguese
Microsoft Technical Support and they told me that 1433 port is enough. But I
opened only that port on the firewall in the 2 ways and I had a connection
error. I opened almost all ports on the SQL Server side and I had success.
Can anybody help me on this?
Thanks on advance!

2. How do i get detailed error information regarding Oracle SQL via Delphi?

3. Connecting to SQL port 1433 using TCP/IP only (no SQL client)

4. Create a new blank sql server database from an original Database

5. PL/SQL --> T-SQL and vice-versa

6. Help transferring DB to another server?

7. Translating Ora PL/SQL to Syb Transact-SQL (and vice versa)

8. Data Warehousing.

9. Informix Universal Server BLOB to BYTE, vice versa ?

10. Tool to convert SQl queries to oracle or vice versa

11. how to convert SQL data into .dbf file and vice a versa