tempdb

Post by sha.. » Sun, 14 May 2000 04:00:00

How do you determine the best size for tempdb (i.e. rule of thumb is 2
times the largest table in the DB) and should tempdb be allowed to grow
automatically?

Thanks

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

tempdb

Post by Brian Mora » Mon, 15 May 2000 04:00:00

There really is no such thing as a best size for TempDB. TempDB is used for
a variety of things. If space is needed and there is none, and autogrow is
off... then the quqery will fail. For the most part there's no reason to not
leave autogrow on.

--
Brian Moran
SQL Server MVP

> How do you determine the best size for tempdb (i.e. rule of thumb is 2
> times the largest table in the DB) and should tempdb be allowed to grow
> automatically?

> Thanks

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

1. moving tempdb and starting db when tempdb is lost

I have increased the size of my tempdb database to accomodate a large number
of users.  I created a device file for the new portion and expanded tempdb
onto it.  Now I have two questions and was wondering if anyone could help
1) How do I start SQL Server if I lose the second device file.  (I removed it
on purpose from my test database and it will not start)

2) How can I completely move the tempdb database off of the master device so
it resides completely on its own device

Any help would be appreciated

Damian Yenzi
Federated Investors

2. MD-Chevy Chase-249609--Software Engineer-Visual Basic-ORACLE-SYBASE-Informix-Software Engineer

3. shrinking tempdb without tempdb existing

4. SQL CE do not support PPC 2002!

5. Performance/TempDB Config Issue: Sorting Queries and TempDB

6. Maximum number of tables?

7. Optimizing tempdb Performance, Using filegroups with tempdb

8. block size for DLT device

9. Increasing tempdb data size -> increases tempdb log size

10. Optimizing tempdb Performance. Use of filegroups with tempdb.

11. Any difference in performance to move tempdb to a new Device or expand the tempdb to new device