Feature request for the MVPs

Post by Glen » Wed, 12 May 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

    I am posting this request on the advise of Kalen Delaney (I just left
the MS Chat she and several other MVPs hosted, in a word "Excellent!").  The
subject of Oracle was raised.  My response was that the clustering features
of Oracle were a strong incitement to switch platforms for our company.

    Feature Request:  Scalability is one of the most critical issues that we
face.  How to gain as much through put as possible from the hardware
resources available dominates every development discussion.  We consider the
ability to cluster past two nodes for performance to be a critical "Must
have" feature from a future version of SQL Server.

--
Thanks for your time,
glennc

Feature request for the MVPs

Post by Neil Pik » Thu, 13 May 1999 04:00:00

Glenn,

 I believe that the SQL team are working on this independent of MS's
slow-moving/stalled "Wolfpack" initiative.

Quote:>     Feature Request:  Scalability is one of the most critical issues that we
> face.  How to gain as much through put as possible from the hardware
> resources available dominates every development discussion.  We consider the
> ability to cluster past two nodes for performance to be a critical "Must
> have" feature from a future version of SQL Server.

 (Please post ALL replies to the newsgroup only unless indicated otherwise)
 For SQL FAQ entries see
 http://go.compuserve.com/sqlserver (library 1) - latest stuff is always here
 www.ntfaq.com/sql.html
 http://www.swynk.com/faq/sql/sqlserverfaq.asp

Feature request for the MVPs

Post by Glen » Thu, 13 May 1999 04:00:00

Thanks Neil!

--
glennc

1. feature (feature status) request - function overriding table permissions

hi
as you perhaps :) know, view permissions override table permissions.
i.e. i can have users user_a and user_b; and table x with no permissions
for user_b, but then create view : create view view_x as select * from
x; and grant select permission on this view to user_b.
this way user_b has no direct access to table x, but he can read it's
content through premade views.

some time during last year i suggested doing something like this for
functions. i.e. in my example i'd like to create function which will
update table x, and give user_b access to execute this function, thus
efectivelly allowing him to modify table x - without direct access for
"update table."

now, the question is:
has anything changed since then? maybe there are this kind of function
(i call them "suid" functions), and i'm just not aware of this fact? or
you just said "this idea is stupid, kill it".

i know that i can make workaround by making rules, but i see this as
highly unoptimal solution - a lot of things to be done, and i just
"feel" that "suid" function would be faster.

thanks for any reply with information on this.
unfortunatelly i can not help with writing this as my knowledge of c is
far too limited to even start looking at this.

best regards

depesz

--
hubert depesz lubaczewski                          http://www.depesz.pl/

http://archives.postgresql.org

2. Help-optimistic table buffering TABLEUPDATE() failure

3. Using CASE statement in WHERE Clause - MVP Help requested

4. code page 711

5. Importing from Excel - Avoiding empty lines

6. Update 106 columns fails in SQL 7.0 SP1 - using CAST, MVP help requested

7. Conversion

8. Feature request - Next Version of MS SQL Server

9. Yukon Ho! - feature request

10. Mailing list archive feature request

11. Feature-request: allowing the date/time type to accept ISO8601 compliant date/time combinations on input

12. trouble dropping type + some feature request