SQL Server 2000 question.

Post by Alan Faulkne » Tue, 12 Aug 2003 19:51:06

Is there functionality available that would judge the cost
of a query before running and let the user know that what
they are attempting to do will take a while?  I have used
execution plans before, but is there a way to return
information that could be displayed to a user before the
query is executed?

SQL Server 2000 question.

Post by oj » Tue, 12 Aug 2003 20:17:15

You would execute "set showplan_all on" prior to executing the query.
Capture the result and display it to the user. Note: don't forget to turn it
off after you're done.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/tsqlref/ts_set-set_365o.asp?f...
ue

--
-oj
RAC v2.2 & QALite!

Quote:> Is there functionality available that would judge the cost
> of a query before running and let the user know that what
> they are attempting to do will take a while?  I have used
> execution plans before, but is there a way to return
> information that could be displayed to a user before the
> query is executed?

1. SQL Server 2000 Questions...

I am wondering a couple of things.

I am in the planning stages of a new database server for my company.

We are moving from Informix, Oracle, and dbaseIV to SQL Server.

I want to implement a 2-server cluster using Windows 2000 Advanced Server running
Cluster Service.  Each server will be dual processor.

Only one server will be active.  When the primary fails, the backup will come
online.

Do I need SQL Server Enterprise Edition?

How would I configure SQL Server to work with MS Cluster Service?

My next question is about snapshots.

I estimate, based on current database usage, that company wide, we will probably
performa about 50,000 transactions per day on the database.

Because of the nature of the business, we can not have the SQL Server stop
running for any lengthy period of time (read: > 1 hour), and due to the size of
the database (> 40 gigs), I was wondering if a snapshot of the transaction log
would be an appropriate solution to the backup issue before me.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!

-Todd Dixon

2. Multitasking Database (Server?) on Win 95

3. General SQL Server 2000 Questions

4. Finding the full name of a temporary table

5. SQL Server 2000 question

6. FlashCONNECT w3htmlTextarea

7. Basic SQL Server 2000 Question

8. PLEASE HELP! OLE AUTOMATION ERROR

9. Office XP Developer & SQL Server 2000 Question

10. SQL server 2000 question

11. SQL Server 2000 Question

12. SQL server 2000 Question

13. SQL server 2000 questions