SQL SERVER SP TRASHES NT SERVER

Post by No e-mail pleas » Fri, 23 Apr 1999 04:00:00

After installing SP4 for SQL Server 6.5, the server will no longer allow me
to log out and back in again, or show the task manager when I press
ctrl-alt-del.

I get a blank desktop and it hangs there!

Does anyone know if there is a fix for this?  I tried SP5 too and it gave me
the same problem.

SQL SERVER SP TRASHES NT SERVER

Post by Neil Pik » Fri, 23 Apr 1999 04:00:00

SQL SP's don't update NT components.  I suspect something else got installed around the same time.

Quote:> After installing SP4 for SQL Server 6.5, the server will no longer allow me
> to log out and back in again, or show the task manager when I press
> ctrl-alt-del.

> I get a blank desktop and it hangs there!

> Does anyone know if there is a fix for this?  I tried SP5 too and it gave me
> the same problem.

 (Please post ALL replies to the newsgroup only unless indicated otherwise)
 For SQL FAQ entries see
 http://go.compuserve.com/sqlserver (library 1) - latest stuff is always here
 www.ntfaq.com/sql.html
 http://www.swynk.com/faq/sql/sqlserverfaq.asp

SQL SERVER SP TRASHES NT SERVER

Post by No mai » Fri, 23 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> SQL SP's don't update NT components.  I suspect something else got

installed around the same time.

I believe it is a SQL Server SP or SQL Server 6.5 itself.  I've been through
this twice now, once with SP5a and once with SP4.

It happened with SP5a; I could not even run SQL Server setup to uninstall.

I had to manually uninstalled SQL Server.  Thereafter, the problem went
away.

Now I've tried reinstalling and applying SP4. - same problem.

Between these installs/reinstalls, I had not installed any other software.

Quote:> > After installing SP4 for SQL Server 6.5, the server will no longer allow
me
> > to log out and back in again, or show the task manager when I press
> > ctrl-alt-del.

> > I get a blank desktop and it hangs there!

> > Does anyone know if there is a fix for this?  I tried SP5 too and it
gave me
> > the same problem.

>  Neil Pike MVP/MCSE.  Protech Computing Ltd
>  (Please post ALL replies to the newsgroup only unless indicated
otherwise)
>  For SQL FAQ entries see
>  http://go.compuserve.com/sqlserver (library 1) - latest stuff is always
here
>  www.ntfaq.com/sql.html
>  http://www.swynk.com/faq/sql/sqlserverfaq.asp

1. SQL Server SP 5a, NT Server SP4, NT Workstation SP5, MDAC 2.1 - Error 37000

Hi!
We've had an application that has been running fine.  The NT Server is at
SP4.

NT Workstation    SQL Server
SP4                        SP4 ------------------- OK
SP4                        SP5a ----------------- FAIL
SP5                        SP5a ----------------- FAIL
SP6                        SP5a ----------------- OK

For a simple query with a where clause using MFC Recordset (MFC 6.0), Open
fails.  More specifically SQLExecute() fails with error code 37000.  "Syntax
error or Access Violation".  The extened text help is all blank.  Can
anybody throw any light on this situation?
Thanks
Aman

2. Oracle JDBC drivers

3. SQL Server 7.0 on NT Server to SQL Server 7.0 on win2k Pro

4. Percentage of memory to leave for Solaris

5. server agent in SQL Server 7.0 ver 842 - OS WinNt 4.0 Server SP 4

6. How to reactivate logical logging?

7. SQL Server 7.0 on NT Server to SQL Server 7.0 on win2k Pro

8. Limited Edition SQL Server?!

9. Connecting a SQL SERVER 2000 Database in NT Server From NT/98 Client

10. SQL Server 7 and Windows NT Terminal Server and Windows NT 5.0 beta

11. SQL Server 6.5 and NT SP 4?