Moving database from SQL 6.5 to SQL 7

Post by Dan » Sun, 17 Jun 2001 21:23:42

Hi!

I have a backup file and data file of a database made in SQL 6.5
I would like to move this database to another machine with SQL7.
Do I have to instal SQL6.5 and restore the database to 6.5, then instal SQL7
and perform upgrade of the database using upgrade switch in SQL7
or is there any easyer and more direct way to acomplish that?

Dan

Moving database from SQL 6.5 to SQL 7

Post by BP Margoli » Mon, 18 Jun 2001 01:40:46

Dan,

SQL Server 7.0 / 2000 can not directly access SQL Server 6.5 backups, so you
do indeed have to first install SQL Server 6.5, restore the database to the
SS6.5 installation, and then copy/move the database to SQL Server 7.0.

If you want to capture all the views, stored procedures, triggers, etc.,
then the SQL Server 7.0 / 2000 Upgrade Wizard is the best to go from SS6.5
to SS7.0 / 2K. If all you need are the tables and data, DTS might be an
option.

BP Margolin
Please reply only to the newsgroups.

Quote:> Hi!

> I have a backup file and data file of a database made in SQL 6.5
> I would like to move this database to another machine with SQL7.
> Do I have to instal SQL6.5 and restore the database to 6.5, then instal
SQL7
> and perform upgrade of the database using upgrade switch in SQL7
> or is there any easyer and more direct way to acomplish that?

> Dan

1. Moving all databases from one SQL 6.5 server to another SQL 6.5 s erver

I am using SQL Server 6.5 and I have to move all the databases from one
server to another.
I have already created the new database devices and the databases on the
new server.
What is the best way to do this?
1. Backup all the databases from the old server and restore them on the
new server? Should I also backup the master, msdb and model databases?
What about the user logins? Will I have to re-create them on the new
server?
2. Use the Enterprise Manager and 'Transfer' the databases from one
server to another? What sequence should I follow? I mean, master first,
msdb second, etc.?

Your responce is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

2. BOSTON Sybase DBA

3. moving SQL 6.5 database to another 6.5 server

4. FAQ, online books/articles are here

5. Moving a SQL 6.5 database to SQL Server 7.0

6. MAKE BIG MONEY FAST. IT WORKS !!!

7. Using dump to move SQL 6.5 Database to SQL 7.0

8. Windows 4GL HELP! (Please.)

9. migrating sql databases sever 6.5 from sql server 6.5 to another sql server 6.5

10. Moving 6.5 database to another 6.5 database with different character set

11. Move SQL 6.5 Database

12. Moving databases and data devices to new server in SQL 6.5

13. Moving databases from SQL 6.5 to 7.0