DBLib Error Handler: Unable to connect

Post by Kevin Stanfor » Thu, 20 Mar 1997 04:00:00

I finally figured out what was wrong! It was the SQL Executive
configuration. Whoever had
originally installed the SQL Server did not configure it properly.

I found the instructions for configuring SQL Executive in the "What's
New . . " book.
I changed the 'Local Host Server' to "default" and the 'Service Startup
Account' to "This
Account" and gave it a unique username--> "SQLExecutiveCmdExec". It was
already an account
found in the NT User Manager, so I entered it and it worked!

I wonder if the SQL Server installation created it
(SQLExecutiveCmdExec)?

My previous message follows:

Quote:> I originally posted this message as "Tasks Not Running" and after
> looking at my SQL Executive Error log, I found the following:

> "3/17/97 2:35:54 PM - ? OnDemand requested for task 1
> 3/17/97 2:35:55 PM - ! Task 1 does not exist in the task cache:
> Attempting to re-acquire it from the server...
> 3/17/97 2:36:02 PM - ! DBLib Error Handler: Unable to connect: SQL
> Server is unavailable or does not exist.  Specified SQL server not
> found.
> 3/17/97 2:36:02 PM - ! Failed to refresh task 1
> 3/17/97 2:36:38 PM - ? Refreshing internal alert list...
> 3/17/97 2:36:38 PM - ? Refreshing internal task list...
> 3/17/97 2:36:45 PM - ! DBLib Error Handler: Unable to connect: SQL
> Server is unavailable or does not exist.  Specified SQL server not
> found."

> Why can't it locate the Server? The server is listed in the drop-down
> box found in the Backup dialog. Anybody got any clues?

> Here is my original message concerning the problem:

> > NT 4.0/SQL Server 6.5/SQL Executive

> > I have setup two tasks to run at a specific time. One is a backup and
> > another is maintenance. They do not run, even when I higlight them from
> > within SQL Executive dialog and click on 'Run'.

> > Any ideas as to why they are failing to execute? I have SQL Executive up
> > and running the whole time.

1. DBLib Error Handler: Unable to Connect: SQL Server is unavailable or does not exist

I suspect that when I get the answer to this one, I'll feel stupid. I'm
going to ask anyway - stupid is becoming my middle name <g>.

I am trying to schedule a DUMP DATABASE using the SQL Executive. I had a
dump which I created and ran (successfully), and all I did was copy and
paste the TSQL into the scheduled. Now that it is in the scheduler, I always
get the error message:

"DBLib Error Handler: Unable to Connect: SQL Server is unavailable or does
not exist. General network error. Check your documentation."

I can't find any reference to this message in my docs (I don't have the full
set handy at this location).

I appreciate any friendly help you can offer.

ScottD

2. Stored proc that updates and selects

3. DBLib Error Handler

4. dbase 5.0 question???

5. Windows, dblib, dll, error handler question

6. TCompress file/database compression announcement

7. dbLib Error Handlers / Advice on passing data to a VBX from a separate .EXE and

8. sqldmo restore in visual basic?

9. DBLIB error and message handler with C++

10. dblib custom error and message handler with C++

11. DBLib Error Handler: Login Incorrect in SQL 6.5

12. DBLib Error Handler...

13. DBLib Message Handler: Login failed User: sa