How to call a *.exe with a trigger in SQL 7.0 Part II

How to call a *.exe with a trigger in SQL 7.0 Part II

Post by Giovanni Zano » Tue, 14 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Hi Bob, thank for your help;

I will run a VB GUI program thath only say te user what make the trigger (in
my case the trigger change a date in a order only in certain conditions)

The program is only a Message with a button OK

So if call the VB GUI program using the delay.exe it is posible ?

i.e.

Sub Main()

Dim strTime As String
strTime = Time()
Do Until Time() > CDate(strTime) + "00:00:10"
DoEvents
Loop

Call (VB Program) myprogram.exe

'MsgBox "done"

End Sub

How to call a *.exe with a trigger in SQL 7.0 Part II

Post by Tibor Karasz » Tue, 14 Dec 1999 04:00:00

You cannot perform any gui operations from SQL Server. That has to be done
by a client application. SQL Server is a service, and a service does not
have a "screen context". Trying to perform GUI operations from a trigger etc
will make that connection hang.

--
Tibor Karaszi
MCDBA, MCSE, MCSD, MCT, SQL Server MVP

Quote:> Hi Bob, thank for your help;

> I will run a VB GUI program thath only say te user what make the trigger
(in
> my case the trigger change a date in a order only in certain conditions)

> The program is only a Message with a button OK

> So if call the VB GUI program using the delay.exe it is posible ?

> i.e.

> Sub Main()

> Dim strTime As String
> strTime = Time()
> Do Until Time() > CDate(strTime) + "00:00:10"
> DoEvents
> Loop

> Call (VB Program) myprogram.exe

> 'MsgBox "done"

> End Sub

1. How to call a *.exe with a trigger (Part II)

Hi Bob, thanks for your help;

I want to run a VB GUI program that only show to the user a message
containing what is doing the trigger (in my case the trigger changes a date
in a sale order only in certain conditions).

With a trigger, as I have understood, I can not send a Message (like MsgBox
in VB) then my only solution is to create a simple VB msg.exe program that
executes this function.

The program is only a Small Form with a Message and a button OK

So if I call the VB GUI program using the delay.exe, is it possible to
obtain what I need?

i.e.

Sub Main()

Dim strTime As String
strTime = Time()
Do Until Time() > CDate(strTime) + "00:00:10"
DoEvents
Loop

Call (VB Program) myprogram.exe

'MsgBox "done"

End Sub

Thank You

Giovanni

2. Looking for a Technical Consultant (DBA)

3. How to call a *.exe with a trigger in SQL 7.0

4. Users & Security

5. Bugs in exe part II

6. Passing TextPtr varbinary to C++ extended stored procedure

7. Trigger Problems Part II

8. Multi Table Recordset Problem (Not Solved)

9. Call a COM object or a EXE through a SP or Trigger on SQL Server

10. Calling an Active X control (DCOM) from within a trigger/procedure SQL 7.0

11. SQL 7.0, SP2 sqlmangr.exe and isqlw.exe errors

12. Need Help on SQL Server 6.5 - Part II

13. calling external EXE file from trigger?