Cursors/Fetch Failing on NT 4.0 machine

Post by Tom » Fri, 17 May 2002 10:36:59

Hello...I hope some one can help. I have this procedure
that has a Cursor that returns about 11407 records. I
Fetch the first row innitially and go right into my "WHILE
(fatchstatus=0)" loop and fetch next. In this loop I have
two Insert statements. On my one machine 2000 Pro/SQL 2000
client/256MB of RAM.....on this machine the the Fetch runs
through all rows....for the loop...thus Fetch_status is
always = 0 during the WHILE statement up to the end of the
record.    NOW on my other machine NT 4.0/SQL 7.0
client/256 MB of RAM...for some reason the fetch fails
after 214 rows...and I have to run it again to finish the

machines....for some reason the fetch is failing on this
partiular machine.....why?   Help!

Cursors/Fetch Failing on NT 4.0 machine

Post by oj » Fri, 17 May 2002 14:43:34

exec sp_lock to see if you have block/lock. you might want to post
simplified ddl+sample data+code here. someone might have a solution for you.

--
-oj

http://www.rac4sql.net

http://vyaskn.tripod.com

> Hello...I hope some one can help. I have this procedure
> that has a Cursor that returns about 11407 records. I
> Fetch the first row innitially and go right into my "WHILE
> (fatchstatus=0)" loop and fetch next. In this loop I have
> two Insert statements. On my one machine 2000 Pro/SQL 2000
> client/256MB of RAM.....on this machine the the Fetch runs
> through all rows....for the loop...thus Fetch_status is
> always = 0 during the WHILE statement up to the end of the
> record.    NOW on my other machine NT 4.0/SQL 7.0
> client/256 MB of RAM...for some reason the fetch fails
> after 214 rows...and I have to run it again to finish the

> machines....for some reason the fetch is failing on this
> partiular machine.....why?   Help!

Cursors/Fetch Failing on NT 4.0 machine

Post by Tom » Fri, 17 May 2002 22:08:41

thank you...I will check that out....here is an example of
my T-SQL code that the fetch is failing for on the NT
machine but works for the 2000 pro machine.

both
>> machines....for some reason the fetch is failing on this
>> partiular machine.....why?   Help!

>.

  example.sql
3K Download

Cursors/Fetch Failing on NT 4.0 machine

Post by Kun Cheng [M » Thu, 23 May 2002 02:25:42

I believe it's caused by blocking. Why it doesn't happen on sql 2k could be
that locking behavior is changed. Run blocking script and profiler trace to
see if blocking does happen.

Q271509

--------------------

| Subject: Re: Cursors/Fetch Failing on NT 4.0 machine
| Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 06:08:41 -0700

| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sqlserver.programming
|
| thank you...I will check that out....here is an example of
| my T-SQL code that the fetch is failing for on the NT
| machine but works for the 2000 pro machine.

1. (MSSQL6.5 on NT40 ( machine A) <--query-- (IIS2.0 on NT 4.0)(Machine B)

Hi,
I tried to execute a idc file ( it runs on IIS2.0 )that query info from SQL 6.5 on NT40
but it didn't work.

    ( MSSQL 6.5 ) on Machine_A  < -- ( IIS 2.0 ) on Machine_B

I got the error message from web page:
[Stat=08001][Error=6][Microsoft][ODBC SQL server ][dbnmpntw]Specified SQL server not found
[Stat=01000][Error=53][Microsoft][ODBC SQL server][dbnmpntw]ConnectionOpen(CreateFile())

I set odbc ( driver version 2.65 ) SQL server setup like the following on Machine B

Data Source Name: ABC
server: Machine_A
databasename: abc
others are default

idc file like the following:
Datasource: ABC
username: sa
password:
template: aaa.htx
SQLstatement:
+select * from table1

What else configuration I should setup either Machine_A or Machine_B?

Please give me some suggestions.

Thanks all

Stephen Chang

2. Dump stored procedure code

3. D3 Virtual machine enviroment service does not initiate in a Windows NT 4.0 machine

4. can I set up a bbs with FMP 4.0?

5. Fetch Cursor inside Fetch Cursor

6. Sql Server Stored Procedure

7. dbexit on NT 4.0 with MSVC 4.0 fails

8. Can only see owned tables

9. Fetch server cursor fails when over 254 columns

10. Failed update to fetched cursor

11. Cursor failing at fetch

12. Cursor Fetch fails to return rows

13. Microsoft SQL server 7.0 installation fails on NT 4.0 sp6a + nt optionpack