Moving all databases from one SQL 6.5 server to another SQL 6.5 s erver

Moving all databases from one SQL 6.5 server to another SQL 6.5 s erver

Post by Naushad Sye » Fri, 21 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I am using SQL Server 6.5 and I have to move all the databases from one
server to another.
I have already created the new database devices and the databases on the
new server.
What is the best way to do this?
1. Backup all the databases from the old server and restore them on the
new server? Should I also backup the master, msdb and model databases?
What about the user logins? Will I have to re-create them on the new
server?
2. Use the Enterprise Manager and 'Transfer' the databases from one
server to another? What sequence should I follow? I mean, master first,
msdb second, etc.?

Your responce is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Moving all databases from one SQL 6.5 server to another SQL 6.5 s erver

Post by Stuar » Fri, 21 Jul 2000 04:00:00

SQL 7.0 comes with a utility that will automate the upgrade process.

Look in BOL (Books on Line).  On the Search tab type in "Upgrading from an
Earlier Version of SQL Server".  Make sure that the  "Search Titles Only"
option is checked at the bottom.  OR, on the BOL Index tab type in
"Upgrading SQL Server".   After reading BOL most of you questions should be
answered.

The upgrade process only works if both machines are running named pipes or
if you use tape backups.

There is another option to use DTS, but it will require a lot of work
becuase it will only bring over the data, you'll have to recreate most
everything else.

Quote:> I am using SQL Server 6.5 and I have to move all the databases from one