Help: Msg 610 Maximum number of databases exceeded?

Help: Msg 610 Maximum number of databases exceeded?

Post by Brett Schmol » Fri, 30 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Help....We have two databases that contain nearly identical information for
two different clients. We are in the process of consolidating these two
separate databases into a single db. One db has a stored proc that returns
records for crystal report. We recompile the stored proc in the other db and
when we run it, it returns the following.

Msg 610, Level 19, State 1
Maximum number of databases that may be accessed by a transaction is 8. This
number has been exceeded by this query.
The SQL Server is terminating this process.

My problem is, that the proc doesn't access multiple databases in either
database. The number of records in the new database is significantly higher
than the original db, but the table structure is identical. It appears that
all the other stored procs that were unique to the first database run fine
in the second, except this one.

Any ideas?

Help: Msg 610 Maximum number of databases exceeded?

Post by Neil Pik » Sat, 01 May 1999 04:00:00

Brett,

Quote:> Subject: Help: Msg 610 Maximum number of databases exceeded?

Q.  Why do I get an error "#610 - Maximum number of databases that may be
accessed by a transaction is <x>.  This number has been exceeded by this
query." when running a SQL Server query?
(v1.0   12.1.1999)

A.  There is also a very similar error 925.

Assuming the query doesn't really access more than <x> databases then this is a
SQL bug caused by a complex query that has confused the SQL parser/optimiser.

Look for any known reasons for this bug at http://support.microsoft.com - just
search on 610/925 and SQL and kbbug.  If your problem does not match any of
these and you have already applied the latest service pack then either post a
reproduction script for an MVP to report for you or call the problem in to MS
PSS yourself.

 (Please post ALL replies to the newsgroup only unless indicated otherwise)
 For SQL FAQ entries see
 http://go.compuserve.com/sqlserver (library 1) - latest stuff is always here
 www.ntfaq.com/sql.html
 http://www.swynk.com/faq/sql/sqlserverfaq.asp

Help: Msg 610 Maximum number of databases exceeded?

Post by Brett Schmol » Sat, 01 May 1999 04:00:00

You've got this answer in template don't you? <g> I did some more research
via dejanews and found multiple instances of the "610" error with your
reply. I did try and check the support link and searched for "610/925",
"610", "925", "Error 610", "msg 610"....etc. Only came up with two articles
that didn't seem to address this issue at all. This seems to be a somewhat
common occurence, I was suprised to not find anything in the support db.
Maybe it was how I queried it, but I would think I'd of been able to find
something.

Is this fixed in 7.0? We did manage to work around it by breaking up the
query (it should've been shot and put out of it's misery).

Would you really want a repro script for this? You'd need the data as well
as the tables, right? That's a whole lotta data...

>Brett,

>> Subject: Help: Msg 610 Maximum number of databases exceeded?

>Q.  Why do I get an error "#610 - Maximum number of databases that may be
>accessed by a transaction is <x>.  This number has been exceeded by this
>query." when running a SQL Server query?
>(v1.0   12.1.1999)

>A.  There is also a very similar error 925.

>Assuming the query doesn't really access more than <x> databases then this
is a
>SQL bug caused by a complex query that has confused the SQL
parser/optimiser.

>Look for any known reasons for this bug at http://support.microsoft.com -
just
>search on 610/925 and SQL and kbbug.  If your problem does not match any of
>these and you have already applied the latest service pack then either post
>reproduction script for an MVP to report for you or call the problem in to
MS
>PSS yourself.

> Neil Pike MVP/MCSE.  Protech Computing Ltd
> (Please post ALL replies to the newsgroup only unless indicated otherwise)
> For SQL FAQ entries see
> http://go.compuserve.com/sqlserver (library 1) - latest stuff is always
here
> www.ntfaq.com/sql.html
> http://www.swynk.com/faq/sql/sqlserverfaq.asp

Help: Msg 610 Maximum number of databases exceeded?

Post by Neil Pik » Sun, 02 May 1999 04:00:00

Brett,

Quote:> You've got this answer in template don't you? <g>

 That's what a FAQ is for!

Quote:> Is this fixed in 7.0? We did manage to work around it by breaking up the
> query (it should've been shot and put out of it's misery).

 Yes, v7.0 is much more stable than 6.5 - I haven't seen anyone get these
errors with v7 yet?

Quote:> Would you really want a repro script for this? You'd need the data as well
> as the tables, right? That's a whole lotta data...

 If there's not a lot of data then yes.  If there is, then you'll need to
report it to MS PSS yourself.

Post by Brett Schmol » Tue, 04 May 1999 04:00:00

>Brett,

>> You've got this answer in template don't you? <g>

> That's what a FAQ is for!

Okay, so is there a link to the SQL 6.5 FAQ? The support site only appears
to have the 7.0 FAQ.

Quote:

>> Is this fixed in 7.0? We did manage to work around it by breaking up the
>> query (it should've been shot and put out of it's misery).

> Yes, v7.0 is much more stable than 6.5 - I haven't seen anyone get these
>errors with v7 yet?

>> Would you really want a repro script for this? You'd need the data as
well
>> as the tables, right? That's a whole lotta data...

> If there's not a lot of data then yes.  If there is, then you'll need to
>report it to MS PSS yourself.

Thanks, I'll add that to my todo list.....(item #9,849)

Help: Msg 610 Maximum number of databases exceeded?

Post by Neil Pik » Tue, 04 May 1999 04:00:00

Brett,

Quote:> Okay, so is there a link to the SQL 6.5 FAQ? The support site only appears
> to have the 7.0 FAQ.

 The master copy of "my" FAQ for 6.5/7.0 is on Compuserve - see below (you
don't need to be a member).  The other sites take it, add, amend, delete etc.
with other stuff - so I can't comment on those.