Virtual Cube - Private Dimension

Post by Sank » Sat, 04 Jan 2003 15:21:08

Hi All,

We have got 3 source cubes with the private dimensions.
(Even though all the 3 cubes refers to the same dimension
table, they have been associated with the cube as private
dimensions)

We tried to build a virtual cube with the 3 source cubes.
When we tried to define dimensions to the virtual cube, we
could find that the list of available dimensions shows the
dimension names 3 times followed by the cube name in the
bracket. We included all the dimensions of a particular
cube and built the cube.

While browsing the data (with some filters on), the data
of all the cubes except the Cube whose dimension had been
included while defining the dimensions of the virtual cube
are not shown.

Is it that when I create a private dimension in a cube,
that dimension cannot be used across other cubes inside
the Virtual Cube.

Thanks for your time.

Cheers,
Sanka

Virtual Cube - Private Dimension

Post by George Spoffor » Sun, 05 Jan 2003 00:23:21

A private dimension can be used in a virtual dimension, as you see, but
only with relative difficulty. Generally, this is why you use shared
dimensions.

If you don't know of any reason why these should be private dimensions,
rebuild them as shared.

HTH

--
George Spofford
Microsoft MVP

ISVs & IT organizations: Find out how DSS Lab can speed your
development!

1. Create a virtual cube from two cubes with different time dimensions(levels)

Hello,

We have two cubes:
1. Cube 1 has a time dimension with the levels year-month
2. Cube 2 has a time dimension with the levels year-month-day

We want to create a virtual cube from these two cubes. We tried to create a
new shared time dimension Year-Month-Day and changed the member property
"Disabled" of the Day level to true when using the dimension in Cube 1. But
the aggregated sum of the measure at the Month level in the cube is still
wrong. Does anyone know how the property "Disabled" is supposed to work?

Disabled means - "Determines whether the level is disabled. Disabled levels
are not available in the cube. They are used when the most detailed level of
data is not available in the fact table"..

We can fix this in the fact table behind Cube 1 (add the day 01 to every
time member), but we would like to do it in the cube.

Any suggestions?

/Anneli

2. Bulk Insert issues

3. Cons for each Cube having private time dimension

4. Index out of date

5. virtual cube from virtual cube

6. MMRDBMS

7. virtual cube with identical dimensions

8. How to open cursor on result set of SP

9. Writeback to cube with virtual dimension?

10. Virtual dimensions in a local cube

11. Virtual Cubes with shared dimensions

12. Virtual dimensions in Local cubes

13. virtual cube, limits and multiple versions of same dimensions