Visual Relationships in Database Diagram

Visual Relationships in Database Diagram

Post by Harold Chattawa » Sat, 29 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Hi:

I am new to using SQL Server....If I am creating a database diagram and
create relationships between tables by dragging and dropping the relating
fields from one table to another, what does this give me other than a visual
indication of how the tables are related? IOW, how does SQL Server use this
relationship information? If I am writing my own query, I would specfy the
join conditions myself...Does SQL Server make use of these automatically
anywhere?

Thanks!
Harold

Visual Relationships in Database Diagram

Post by Tibor Karasz » Sat, 29 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Harold,

A query tool could assist creating joins for you based on these
"relationships".

See Books Online, "Foreign Key". When you "draw" such line, you create a
foreign key constraint. That prohibit you from entering a value in the
"child" table unless there exist a row with that value in the "parent"
table, loosely speaking.

--
Tibor Karaszi
MCDBA, MCSE, MCSD, MCT, SQL Server MVP

Quote:> Hi:

> I am new to using SQL Server....If I am creating a database diagram and
> create relationships between tables by dragging and dropping the relating
> fields from one table to another, what does this give me other than a
visual
> indication of how the tables are related? IOW, how does SQL Server use
this
> relationship information? If I am writing my own query, I would specfy the
> join conditions myself...Does SQL Server make use of these automatically
> anywhere?

> Thanks!
> Harold

1. visual relationship diagram

Is there a program that can work with SQL Server to display a table
relationship diagram like exists in Access?  I have links to all the ms-sql
tables in an Access database (where there also exist some forms), but it
can't seem to keep track of the relationships -- if I create them and close
the window, they get lost.  It would be very helpful to have a graphical
display of the tables when discussing the database layout with my coworkers.

Scott Dellinger
Network Technician
CampusNet
JMU Technical Services

2. Problem with sp_executesql ?

3. Database Diagram Relationships Disappear

4. 6.5 bug list ?

5. Database relationship diagrams

6. Access report to Outlook/ Open Outlook and mail report

7. Exporting SQL Database Relationship diagram

8. SQL ODBC data types

9. Cross database relationship - Diagram or trigger?

10. Entity Relationship Diagram - database design problem

11. Diagrams of Relationships among Different database

12. MS Northwind database Entity relationship diagram,

13. visual/tree view of databases and relationships