SQL Server 7.0 on XP Pro?

Post by Mark » Thu, 23 Jan 2003 02:25:44

Hi,

Is it possible to load/run the Desktop version of SQL
Server 7.0 on XP Professional?

I've tried the install once, had connection problems
("server doesn't exist, or access denied"), and thought
I'd ask here before getting too deep into it.

Thank you for your help,
Mark

SQL Server 7.0 on XP Pro?

Post by Andrew J. Kell » Thu, 23 Jan 2003 03:13:19

Should run without any real issues.

--
Andrew J. Kelly
SQL Server MVP

Quote:> Hi,

> Is it possible to load/run the Desktop version of SQL
> Server 7.0 on XP Professional?

> I've tried the install once, had connection problems
> ("server doesn't exist, or access denied"), and thought
> I'd ask here before getting too deep into it.

> Thank you for your help,
> Mark

SQL Server 7.0 on XP Pro?

Post by Mark » Thu, 23 Jan 2003 03:30:15

Thank you for the reply Andrew.

It actually installed the Desktop Edition fine, then upon
New Registration... I was getting a "SQL Server doesn't
exist, or access denied - error 1069 - message.

Does it make a difference if in the Services Accounts
page of installation, a user account which doesn't
require a password is chosen?  It is one with admin
priviledges, however.

Thanks,
Mark

SQL Server 7.0 on XP Pro?

Post by Andrew J. Kell » Thu, 23 Jan 2003 04:22:13

Mark,

The account that SQL Server and the SQL Agent run under need to be valid
accounts with permissions to do what ever you need them to do.  Typically
they are the Local Admin account on the workstations.  This might have
something to do with what your seeing:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;282254

--

Andrew J. Kelly