Burning a SQL Server2000 Datawarehouse on to a CD

Burning a SQL Server2000 Datawarehouse on to a CD

Post by Hemant Gara » Wed, 25 Dec 2002 20:05:54

Hi, I need some help.
I have an Access database (full of test data) that i want to use for
data warehousing and mining on SQL SErver 2000. I have one
Computer/system with the database and the data warehouse (Star schema
and everything) built on that computer.

Now, i want to copy the whole DATa Warehouse on to  a CD, so that i
can use it to give a demo at my client's place.

What is this procedure called?
Is it even possible ?

I looked up on the book online section of SQL Server2000 and i found
the following procedures:
1. Attach and detach a database
2. Backing up and restoring database(on any disk or directory).
3. Archiving and restoring data.

Which of these can be used to burn a CD?

Tjhanks for your Help

Burning a SQL Server2000 Datawarehouse on to a CD

Post by Andrew J. Kell » Thu, 26 Dec 2002 00:49:42

Either options 1 or 2 should work fine.  You can't use these options to
actually burn the CD but once you have either detached or backed up the db
you can just use any CD burning software to actually copy that to the CD.

--
Andrew J. Kelly
SQL Server MVP

Quote:> Hi, I need some help.
> I have an Access database (full of test data) that i want to use for
> data warehousing and mining on SQL SErver 2000. I have one
> Computer/system with the database and the data warehouse (Star schema
> and everything) built on that computer.

> Now, i want to copy the whole DATa Warehouse on to  a CD, so that i
> can use it to give a demo at my client's place.

> What is this procedure called?
> Is it even possible ?

> I looked up on the book online section of SQL Server2000 and i found
> the following procedures:
> 1. Attach and detach a database
> 2. Backing up and restoring database(on any disk or directory).
> 3. Archiving and restoring data.

> Which of these can be used to burn a CD?

> Tjhanks for your Help

Burning a SQL Server2000 Datawarehouse on to a CD

Post by John Bel » Fri, 27 Dec 2002 04:57:03

To add to Andrews answer:

I would assume that you are not wanting to run the database from the CD as
performance will be affected, but if you are look at the section "Creating a
Removable Database" in Books online.

If you do copy the mdf and ldf to the media, make sure that you remove the
readonly attribute from the file after copying back from the CD.

As you may be assuming that SQL server is installed on a demonstration
system, then make sure that it is the correct version and service
packed/patched to the version you require.

John

Quote:> Hi, I need some help.
> I have an Access database (full of test data) that i want to use for
> data warehousing and mining on SQL SErver 2000. I have one
> Computer/system with the database and the data warehouse (Star schema
> and everything) built on that computer.

> Now, i want to copy the whole DATa Warehouse on to  a CD, so that i
> can use it to give a demo at my client's place.

> What is this procedure called?
> Is it even possible ?

> I looked up on the book online section of SQL Server2000 and i found
> the following procedures:
> 1. Attach and detach a database
> 2. Backing up and restoring database(on any disk or directory).
> 3. Archiving and restoring data.

> Which of these can be used to burn a CD?

> Tjhanks for your Help

1. MSDE 2.0 (SQL Server2000) CD Number

Hello,
I would like to know the CD No which contains MSDE 2.0 (Compatible with SQL
Server 2000).
My Company has the MSDN Subscription but i have to refer them the CD No .
Thanks for the help.
Have a nice day.
With warm regards,
Thiyagarajan.

2. Call Oracle stored procedure

3. burn data on CD

4. Transferring data between DB servers

5. How-to burn oracle CD

6. Object manager required

7. Burning PA downloads to CD

8. Date Calculation

9. burning a solution on a a CD

10. cross-platform CD burn

11. Burning CD converts Solution to Read Only!!

12. CD-ROM burning problem...

13. Is there any database working with CD-ROM(CD-R,CD-RW)