SQL7-Linked servers

Post by Lori Mangel » Thu, 09 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I'm having trouble setting up a linked sql server.  I was able to set one up
successfully but not the second one.   Both servers are sql 7.0.  Both are
replicating (merge) to one another.  At first I was getting "server not
found".  I tried several things.  I set up an alias name in Client network
utility so the remote server and the linked server wouldn't have the same
name.  Then I ran sp_addlinkedsrvlogin and the error I get now is "Server
'sql_srv' is not configured for DATA ACCESS."

Any advice as to what I can try next?????

SQL7-Linked servers

Post by Scott Mauvai » Thu, 09 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Lori,

The syntax for   sp_addlinkedsrvlogin  is a bit tricky. Can you post the
statements you are using along with server names.

--
--scott

Scott Mauvais, MCSE, MCSD, CNA, SCAD, SCSE, M.I.C...K.E.Y.....M.O.U.S.E
E-Commerce Manager                        \|/ ____ \|/

                                             \__U_/

Quote:> I'm having trouble setting up a linked sql server.  I was able to set one
up
> successfully but not the second one.   Both servers are sql 7.0.  Both are
> replicating (merge) to one another.  At first I was getting "server not
> found".  I tried several things.  I set up an alias name in Client network
> utility so the remote server and the linked server wouldn't have the same
> name.  Then I ran sp_addlinkedsrvlogin and the error I get now is "Server
> 'sql_srv' is not configured for DATA ACCESS."

> Any advice as to what I can try next?????

SQL7-Linked servers

Post by Lori Mangel » Fri, 10 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Thanks for your reply Scott.
I did find a way to fix this.  Instead of selecting "SQL Server" as the
server type, I selected "other data source" and then selected ODE DB for sql
server.  I'm not sure I understand why this should have to be this way but
I'm glad it worked.

>Lori,

>The syntax for   sp_addlinkedsrvlogin  is a bit tricky. Can you post the
>statements you are using along with server names.

>--
>--scott

>Scott Mauvais, MCSE, MCSD, CNA, SCAD, SCSE, M.I.C...K.E.Y.....M.O.U.S.E
>E-Commerce Manager                        \|/ ____ \|/

>                                             \__U_/

>> I'm having trouble setting up a linked sql server.  I was able to set one
>up
>> successfully but not the second one.   Both servers are sql 7.0.  Both
are
>> replicating (merge) to one another.  At first I was getting "server not
>> found".  I tried several things.  I set up an alias name in Client
network
>> utility so the remote server and the linked server wouldn't have the same
>> name.  Then I ran sp_addlinkedsrvlogin and the error I get now is "Server
>> 'sql_srv' is not configured for DATA ACCESS."

>> Any advice as to what I can try next?????

1. SQL7 Linked Server - Inconsistent Metadata

After adding two columns to a SQL Server 7 table we have
found that a view from a linked server has stopped working
with the message:

SQLOLEDB supplied inconsistent metadata. An extra column
was supplied during execution that was not found at
compile time.

This is not the first time we have added columns to this
particular table but its the first time we've had
problems. We used named fields in the view, but even
trying 'select *' yields the same error message.
We have stopped + started both servers, dropped +
recreated the link and dropped + recreated the view but
nothing works.
If we take the extra columns out again, everything works.

Anyone any ideas?

2. HELP PLEASEwith WAS 3.0.2

3. MS-SQL7 Linked Server With Sybase

4. Data from Mac Filemaker to Windows

5. SQL7 - Linked Server - OEM/ANSI Problem

6. SP3 and Client

7. Another SQL7 Linked Server to FoxPro problem

8. Import DATA to SQL Server

9. SQL7 Linked Server and ADO

10. SQL7 - Linked Server - OEM/ANSI Problem

11. SQL7 Linked Server versus DSN to oracle

12. -Linked Server--Richard Waymire Seminar--Cannot use Integrated Security with Linked Server with SQL7 and Win2k--