Integrated Security and SQL Server 6.5

Post by Liam Harringto » Thu, 31 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Currently on my site we have 100s of Windows 95 SQL server clients.   The
windows 95 machines logon to  a Netware 4.11 network using Novells
intranetware client and connect to SQL Servers (version 6.5) using ODBC and
the TCP/IP Sockets net library and therefore use standard SQL Server
security.

The windows 95 machines are running both IPX/SPX and TCP/IP

SOME of the users will shortly be also be given a logon to an NT Domain and
want to use integrated security to connect to SQL Server.  For simplicity I
want to be able to use the same net library (either Named Pipes or
Multi-protocol) for all clients whether they are going to use integrated
security or not.

I can get the Multi-protocol connection working for either integrated or
standard security but only if the client machine is logged on to the NT
domain.  Obviously if youre going to use a trusted connection you need to
be logged on to an NT domain for it to work,  but I cant see why the same
should apply for standard security.  The error message I get when not logged
on to the domain says that the specified server is unavailable or does not
exist.
I get the same message when using Named Pipes but it happens whether the
client machine is logged on to the network or not.

Anybody got any ideas.

Integrated Security and SQL Server 6.5

Post by Roy Harv » Thu, 31 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Liam,

Quote:>SOME of the users will shortly be also be given a logon to an NT Domain and
>want to use integrated security to connect to SQL Server.  For simplicity I
>want to be able to use the same net library (either Named Pipes or
>Multi-protocol) for all clients whether they are going to use integrated
>security or not.

You are talking about using mixed security, and you will not be able
to configure both sets of users with the same netlib.  The two netlibs
that support Integrated security, multi-protocol and named pipes, will
not work for users who do not have NT accounts.  The netlibs that
support nontrusted connections needed for users without NT accounts,
TCP/IP and IPX/SPX, will not support Integrated security.

Roy

1. Integrated Security and SQL Server 6.5

[...]

2. Standard Time Conversion is coming!

3. Comments? Switching to Integrated Security on SQL Server 6.5

4. ODBC, SQL, Access and Baan Problem!

5. SQL 6.5 and iNTegrated Security

6. SQLCE with SQL2000

7. REQ: Replication info

8. NT and ms sql 6.5 integrated security

9. SQL 6.5 Integrated Security??

10. NT and sql 6.5 integrated security

11. Integrated Security on SQL 6.5?

12. How to integrate Access application security with a SQL Server security