tempdb's data device

Post by Lapha » Thu, 20 May 1999 04:00:00

Could somebody please tell me how I can remove a data device that is used by
the Tempdb?

I am running SQL Server 6.5 sp3.

Thanks

Laphan

tempdb's data device

Post by Tibor Karasz » Thu, 20 May 1999 04:00:00

Laphan,

Put tempdb in ram and back on disk (see sp_configure). Neil Pike's signature
has an URL to a FAQ with detailed description of how to do this.

--
Tibor Karaszi
MCSE, MCSD, MCT, SQL Server MVP

>Could somebody please tell me how I can remove a data device that is used
by
>the Tempdb?

>I am running SQL Server 6.5 sp3.

>Thanks

>Laphan

tempdb's data device

Post by Al Longyea » Fri, 21 May 1999 04:00:00

>Could somebody please tell me how I can remove a data device that is used
by
>the Tempdb?

>I am running SQL Server 6.5 sp3.

It is a case of the "chicken and the egg". You can't delete the tempdb. You
can't remove the device until you remove the associations for the databases
to the device.

Configure the tempdb to be in ram. (That is, give it a ram size in the
parameters for the server.)

Reboot the server.

Remove the device.

However, running the tempdb in ram is probably not a good idea. You should
use a device for the tempdb. So, don't forget to re-associate a device with
the temp database when you have removed the old one.