DTS - Where is information Stored?

DTS - Where is information Stored?

Post by Barb Cook » Fri, 12 Nov 1999 04:00:00



I am setting up an SQL 7 Server with a new application running on it.
DTS is going to be used.  I want to ensure that my backup schedule
includes backing up all DTS information.   Does anyone know if DTS
information is stored in the Master DB?

--
Barb Cooke

 
 
 

DTS - Where is information Stored?

Post by Darren Gree » Fri, 12 Nov 1999 04:00:00


Both Server & Reposiory packages are stored in the msdb database.
Server packages are stored in the table sysdtspackages. The binary
column holds the actual package data I believe. Repository packages are
stored in the repository tables, don't ask any more!

Backing up the msdb should cover you. Alternatively you can backup DTS
packages by saving them to file. Have a look at my DTSBackup tool if
you are inertested in this method.

I use both methods. In the case of a major failure then I'd obviously
be restoring all the DBs, but in the case of me making amess of a singl
package, I don't want to restore msdb because of all the other
infromation it contains which may have changed, so I use the package
file backup instead.

Hope this coves what you want

Darren Green
SQL/DTS - http://www.swynk.com/friends/green/

* Sent from RemarQ http://www.remarq.com The Internet's Discussion Network *
The fastest and easiest way to search and participate in Usenet - Free!

 
 
 

DTS - Where is information Stored?

Post by Barb Cook » Fri, 12 Nov 1999 04:00:00


Darren,
I cannot find any information in Books on Line or in the Several Manuals I have
on the DTSBackup Tool.  Can you please tell me where I can set it up and
schedule it?

Thanks... Barb


> Both Server & Reposiory packages are stored in the msdb database.
> Server packages are stored in the table sysdtspackages. The binary
> column holds the actual package data I believe. Repository packages are
> stored in the repository tables, don't ask any more!

> Backing up the msdb should cover you. Alternatively you can backup DTS
> packages by saving them to file. Have a look at my DTSBackup tool if
> you are inertested in this method.

> I use both methods. In the case of a major failure then I'd obviously
> be restoring all the DBs, but in the case of me making amess of a singl
> package, I don't want to restore msdb because of all the other
> infromation it contains which may have changed, so I use the package
> file backup instead.

> Hope this coves what you want

> Darren Green
> SQL/DTS - http://www.swynk.com/friends/green/

> * Sent from RemarQ http://www.remarq.com The Internet's Discussion Network *
> The fastest and easiest way to search and participate in Usenet - Free!

 
 
 

DTS - Where is information Stored?

Post by Darren Gree » Fri, 12 Nov 1999 04:00:00



writes

Quote:>Darren,
>I cannot find any information in Books on Line or in the Several Manuals I have
>on the DTSBackup Tool.  Can you please tell me where I can set it up and
>schedule it?

That's because I wrote it myself. See the URL in my signature. It
basically loads the packages and saves them to COM structure storage
files, in the same way that you can "Save As" to a file in the designer.
DTSBackup has both a GUI and command line methods of operation, hence
you can schedule it via SQL Agent etc.
There is documentation on using it on the site.
The two major drawbacks are that the package layout is not retained.
This is a limitation of the package SaveToStorageFile method I'm afraid,
nothing I can do. The other is that it cannot backup password protected
packages, for the simple reason that it does no know the password.

--
Darren Green
SQL/DTS - http://www.swynk.com/friends/green/

 
 
 

DTS - Where is information Stored?

Post by Barb Cook » Fri, 12 Nov 1999 04:00:00


Thank you Darren.  I will try it and let you know how it turns out!



> writes
> >Darren,
> >I cannot find any information in Books on Line or in the Several Manuals I have
> >on the DTSBackup Tool.  Can you please tell me where I can set it up and
> >schedule it?

> That's because I wrote it myself. See the URL in my signature. It
> basically loads the packages and saves them to COM structure storage
> files, in the same way that you can "Save As" to a file in the designer.
> DTSBackup has both a GUI and command line methods of operation, hence
> you can schedule it via SQL Agent etc.
> There is documentation on using it on the site.
> The two major drawbacks are that the package layout is not retained.
> This is a limitation of the package SaveToStorageFile method I'm afraid,
> nothing I can do. The other is that it cannot backup password protected
> packages, for the simple reason that it does no know the password.

> --
> Darren Green
> SQL/DTS - http://www.swynk.com/friends/green/

--
Barb Cooke
System Administrator
J.M. Schneider Inc.
321 Courtland Ave E
Kitchener, ON  N2G 3X8

519-741-5000 x7384

 
 
 

1. I am searching for databases containing specific information

Newsgroups: comp.databases
Subject: I am looking for the addresses of Databases
Distribution: world

I am currently searching for databases, accesible via internet, which contain
any of the folowing areas of information:

    Geneology, Stock Market quotes and related information.

If you know of any FTP or TELNET sites providing this information or
services, please send me information about it via EMAIL.

2. oracle on windows xp

3. I am looking for a Personal Information Manager

4. Exporting stored procedures to Oracle

5. I am looking form information on being a Class Librarian

6. dynamic SQL

7. DTS process needs to be able to run while I am not logged into ODBC Datasource

8. OCI ref cursor

9. DTS causes 24hour clock time to change to am/pm and loses or gains 12 hours

10. Is this Possible Using DTS?Could you say the details.I am new

11. DTS Log/Executing DTS from stored procedure

12. I am getting this message when i am tring to export or import anything using

13. Busy Day = Slowdown from 12 AM - 5 AM