Linked Server Permissions Issues

Post by Matthew Torli » Fri, 11 Apr 2003 00:58:00

We are using SQL Server 2000 with Service Pack 1.  We have created
linked servers pointing to connx cdd's.  The Security for the linked
servers are using the following option: "For a login not defined in
the list above. connection will be: Be made using this security
context"  We enter the user name and password.  Here is where the
issue arises.  We have two windows security accounts that have the
same permissions to the database server.  One can see the linked
server tables and the other cannot. If we are using the sercurity
username and password, then shouldn't both be able to see the linked
server tables?
Thanks Troutbum

Linked Server Permissions Issues

Post by oj » Fri, 11 Apr 2003 01:33:16

Matt,

This is what you want.

B. Connect all local logins to the linked server using a specified user and
password
This example creates a mapping to ensure that all logins to the local server
connect through to the linked server Accounts using the same login SQLUser
and password Password.

EXEC sp_addlinkedsrvlogin 'Accounts', 'false', NULL, 'SQLUser', 'Password'

--
-oj
RAC v2.1 & QALite!

Quote:> We are using SQL Server 2000 with Service Pack 1.  We have created
> linked servers pointing to connx cdd's.  The Security for the linked
> servers are using the following option: "For a login not defined in
> the list above. connection will be: Be made using this security
> context"  We enter the user name and password.  Here is where the
> issue arises.  We have two windows security accounts that have the
> same permissions to the database server.  One can see the linked
> server tables and the other cannot. If we are using the sercurity
> username and password, then shouldn't both be able to see the linked
> server tables?
> Thanks Troutbum

1. Remote Servers vs. Linked Servers-- Permission Problem

I am trying to do queries from one server to another (both are running SQL
Server 2000 SP3) and get the error:

Server: Msg 18456, Level 14, State 1, Procedure xxxxxxxxx, Line 45
Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON'.

The only way it will work is if I am connected as SA.  I have the servers
connecting as Remote Servers and realize that if they were set up as Linked
Servers then I could set up the permission between them.  My problem is that
I can not drop them as a Remote Server in order to recreate them as Linked
Servers because I have replication set up between the servers.

Is there some way to change the connection between the servers from Remote
Servers to Linked Servers without having to drop and recreate replication?

2. Need opinion on MS SQL server on Win NT

3. Linked Servers permissions problem

4. MDAC 2.6 & 2.7 compatibliity

5. Linked Server Permission with Connx

6. Pagina PARADOX.HTM

7. Linked Server Permissions

8. help with mutating table

9. sp_executesql and linked server (dynamically checking permissions)

10. permissions to access linked-server-mdb?

11. Newbie - Linked Server Permissions