What is NTWDBLIB.DLL

Post by Andrew Nade » Fri, 21 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Hello

I have setup a new test pc with my applications to test against our SQL
Server 7. When I run my program it tells me NTWDBLIB.DLL could no be found.
It exists on my development machine so I've copied it to the test machine
and it all works.

Where did this DLL come from in the first place ? I've tried the Microsoft
Data Access Components, but that didn't install it.

Would like to know as I will have to build it into my installation routines.
Also - is it free to distribute.

many thanks

Andrew

What is NTWDBLIB.DLL

Post by Tibor Karasz » Sat, 22 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Andrew,

NTWDBLIB is the dll file which implements the Db Library programming
interface. I'm surprised that MDAC didn't install that....
Db Library is a dead API, btw. It is stuck on 6.5 level, so dblib apps
cannot take advantage of some of the features in version 7 (Unicode, for
instance).

--
Tibor Karaszi
MCDBA, MCSE, MCSD, MCT, SQL Server MVP

Quote:> Hello

> I have setup a new test pc with my applications to test against our SQL
> Server 7. When I run my program it tells me NTWDBLIB.DLL could no be
found.
> It exists on my development machine so I've copied it to the test machine
> and it all works.

> Where did this DLL come from in the first place ? I've tried the Microsoft
> Data Access Components, but that didn't install it.

> Would like to know as I will have to build it into my installation
routines.
> Also - is it free to distribute.

> many thanks

> Andrew

What is NTWDBLIB.DLL

Post by Neil Pik » Sat, 22 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Andrew,

Quote:> I have setup a new test pc with my applications to test against our SQL
> Server 7. When I run my program it tells me NTWDBLIB.DLL could no be found.
> It exists on my development machine so I've copied it to the test machine
> and it all works.

> Where did this DLL come from in the first place ? I've tried the Microsoft
> Data Access Components, but that didn't install it.

> Would like to know as I will have to build it into my installation routines.
> Also - is it free to distribute.

 It is free.  Install SQLREDIST.EXE from SQL 7.0 SP1 to get the latest version
of this and all the other client code.

 (Please reply only to newsgroups)
 SQL FAQ (412 entries) see

http://forumsb.compuserve.com/vlforums/UK/default.asp?SRV=MSDevApps
 or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html (+ ntfaq download)
 or http://www.sql-server.co.uk

What is NTWDBLIB.DLL

Post by JP » Sat, 22 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Cheers for the replies. Still having difficulty getting the file though.
Found SP1 for SQL Server 7.0 and unpacked the file SQL70SP1.EXE to a
directory. Then searching through the extracted files I found a file called
SQLREDIS.EXE. Tried installing that and it didn't provide me with the file.
Also ran it with /T and  /C options to get a look at the files being
distributed.

Is it just simply a case of copying NTWDBLIB.DLL manually from one machine
to the next. I noticed that NTWDBLIB.DLL is infact located in the directory
\SP1\X86\SYSTEM  - SP1 being the directory created when I ran SQL70SP1.EXE.

Thanks in advance for any info

Andrew

Quote:> Hello

> I have setup a new test pc with my applications to test against our SQL
> Server 7. When I run my program it tells me NTWDBLIB.DLL could no be
found.
> It exists on my development machine so I've copied it to the test machine
> and it all works.

> Where did this DLL come from in the first place ? I've tried the Microsoft
> Data Access Components, but that didn't install it.

> Would like to know as I will have to build it into my installation
routines.
> Also - is it free to distribute.

> many thanks

> Andrew

What is NTWDBLIB.DLL

Post by Neil Pik » Sat, 22 Jan 2000 04:00:00

JP - yes, it's just a matter of copying it.  SQLREDIS.EXE should have installed
it...

 (Please reply only to newsgroups)
 SQL FAQ (412 entries) see

http://forumsb.compuserve.com/vlforums/UK/default.asp?SRV=MSDevApps
 or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html (+ ntfaq download)
 or http://www.sql-server.co.uk

1. ntwdblib.dll vs sqlsrv32.dll (native driver vs ODBC driver)

It seems to me that the current ntwdblib.dll with MS SQL Server 7 CD
(beta 3) is not compatiable with MS SQL Server 7.  If a table has nchar,
nvarchar, or ntext data type field, the application used the
ntwdblib.dll will not work properly.  For example, the following simple
statemet cannot be executed successfully:

Select * from TableWithNTextField

However, an application used Sqlsrv32.dll will work fine.

In the past, isqlw.exe used ntwdblib.dll but the new isqlw.exe (with MS
SQL Server 7 beta 3 CD) uses sqlsrv32.dll.  What is the reason for the
change?  I cannot find the type definitions of nvarchar, nchar and ntext
in the new sqlfront.h, which defines the types of varchar, char and
ntext.  When I used the dbcolinfo to get the data type info for nchar
field, the reture value is 0x2f, which is just char data type.  So,
ntwdblib.dll is either not upgraded or cannot support the new MS SQL
Server anymore.

Can any one shed some light one my problem?  Thanks in advance.

Tao Lin

2. sp_newbie - table names in variables

3. NTWDBLIB.DLL

4. SUPER-PC

5. Updating NTWDBLIB.DLL

6. SELECT sample only?

7. ntwdblib.dll (Native vs. ODBC driver)

8. Fox Pro Developer Needed

9. Updating NTWDBLIB.DLL

10. ntwdblib.dll

11. Missing DLL file (NTWDBLIB)