Calling MS ACCESS 97 Cross-Tab Query from MS SQL 6.5

Calling MS ACCESS 97 Cross-Tab Query from MS SQL 6.5

Post by Kevin Armstron » Tue, 02 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hello:

I am looking for suggestions for utilizing MS Access Cross-Tab capabilities
via MS SQL 6.5 can you please help me?

Here is some additional background related to my project where this
capability will be needed:

 Background:

I am currently in development of a client/server internet application using
ASP, IIS, MS SQL 6.5 and Visual Interdev.  This application successfully
collects and stores data via Active Server Pages (ASP web pages) into MS SQL
6.5 tables.  Additionally, qualified internet users have access to query
these tables.  One such query is an ad-hoc cross-tabulation query.  This
ad-hoc cross-tabulation query has been successfully designed within MS
Access 97 utilizing MS SQL 6.5 tables via ODBC.  Also I have simulated this
ad-hoc query outside of MS ACCESS by using a combination of ASP + VBScript
and MS SQL 6.5 procedures.  My present concerns and challenges are listed
below in the form of Questions to which I am seeking your help to answer.

Q1) Is it practical (performance wise) to employ MS ACCESS 97 via ASP
VBScript to perform this ad-hoc? And if so then do you have any MS ACCESS
optimization suggestions?

Q2) Can MS ACCESS queries be executed from within a MS SQL 6.5 procedure?
And if so how?

Please forgive any questions that may seem obviously elementry or to vague.

Thank you in advance for your time and help.

Sincerly,

Kevin Armstrong
425.255.1120

Calling MS ACCESS 97 Cross-Tab Query from MS SQL 6.5

Post by Trevor Dwye » Wed, 03 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hi Kevin,

Q1) Is it practical (performance wise) to employ MS ACCESS 97 via ASP
VBScript to perform this ad-hoc? And if so then do you have any MS ACCESS
optimization suggestions?

If your data is held Server end then give up with using Access crosstab
features.
You are best off developing SQL Stored Procedures using the CASE method
and letting the server do all the hard work. If you then find that you need
to do futher
processing then prehaps use the Access crosstab.

Q2) Can MS ACCESS queries be executed from within a MS SQL 6.5 procedure?
And if so how?

Not that I am aware, although a very tricky SQL OLE procedure could do this
I cannot
think of any examples. I would try to think of a way around having to do
this. Let me know
what you are trying to achieve and prehaps other suggestions may help

Best Regards

Trevor Dwyer

>Hello:

>I am looking for suggestions for utilizing MS Access Cross-Tab capabilities
>via MS SQL 6.5 can you please help me?

>Here is some additional background related to my project where this
>capability will be needed:

> Background:

>I am currently in development of a client/server internet application using
>ASP, IIS, MS SQL 6.5 and Visual Interdev.  This application successfully
>collects and stores data via Active Server Pages (ASP web pages) into MS
SQL
>6.5 tables.  Additionally, qualified internet users have access to query
>these tables.  One such query is an ad-hoc cross-tabulation query.  This
>ad-hoc cross-tabulation query has been successfully designed within MS
>Access 97 utilizing MS SQL 6.5 tables via ODBC.  Also I have simulated this
>ad-hoc query outside of MS ACCESS by using a combination of ASP + VBScript
>and MS SQL 6.5 procedures.  My present concerns and challenges are listed
>below in the form of Questions to which I am seeking your help to answer.

>Q1) Is it practical (performance wise) to employ MS ACCESS 97 via ASP
>VBScript to perform this ad-hoc? And if so then do you have any MS ACCESS
>optimization suggestions?

>Q2) Can MS ACCESS queries be executed from within a MS SQL 6.5 procedure?
>And if so how?

>Please forgive any questions that may seem obviously elementry or to vague.

>Thank you in advance for your time and help.

>Sincerly,

>Kevin Armstrong
>425.255.1120

1. Executing a MS Access Cross-Tab Query from MS SQL 6.5

[...]

2. Problem Accessing Dbase III file "G:\Thispath\filename.dbf" is not a valid path"

3. How to migrate from MS Access 97 to MS SQL server 6.5

4. Sample Update/Insert with Lookup DTS Package

5. Connecting to MS SQL Server 6.5 via MS Access 97 and ODBC

6. Looping with the results of a SQL query

7. MS-Access 97 to SQL Server to MS-Access 97

8. D3 Ok? wirh NT/SP6a

9. Moving Access Cross Tab Query to SQL Cross Tab

10. MS Access 97 SQL to MS SQL SQL SQL SQL

11. MS ACCESS 97/SQL server 6.5: deadlock problems when accessing server tables

12. MS-Access: Cross-tab query in a report?