"memusage" in the sysprocesses table

Post by S.Man » Sat, 16 Mar 2002 07:37:04

hello,

the sysprocesses table in the master db describes the "memusage" as following:

memusage int
"Number of pages in the procedure cache that are
currently allocated to this process. A negative number
indicates that the process is freeing memory allocated
by another process."

if some (Java)applications has a very high figure for this column,
will it affect the performance of the whole server(for other
ASP applications)?

the scenario is :
we have an application server running on another machine. that machine
accesses this database server (MS Sql 7.0).  there are about 4 applications
running on the application server.

when i issue a "select * from master..sysprocesses", i could find, that the
4 applications memusage is the highest. Over a period of time, it keeps on
increasing and those 4 applications fail to respond. Once the application
server is restarted, things are normal. But, the memusage keep on increasing
and EXCEEDS THE PHYSICAL RAM on the SQL server. The CPU usage
shots to 100%  at regular intervals also.

waiting for any suggestions....

thanks

-----
mani.

"memusage" in the sysprocesses table

Post by Shri Anandpura [M » Sat, 16 Mar 2002 09:09:36

S Mani
To begin with, can we limit the amount of memory used by SQL server. Use
the fixed memory setting instead of dynamic. That way we can see if we
still have application problems.  Is it possible that 1 or all 4
applications are experiencing memory leaks ?
I have some articles that may be helpful from the SQL perspective...

Application Performance Troubleshooting
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q224587

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/pr...
ol/sql/Default.asp

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/TechNet/pr...
ol/sql/proddocs/diag/part1/75528c05.asp

Thanks
Shri Anandpura

You assume all risk for your use.

--------------------

| Subject: "memusage" in the sysprocesses table

| Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 22:37:04 GMT
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sqlserver.tools
|
| hello,
|
| the sysprocesses table in the master db describes the "memusage" as
following:

| memusage int
| "Number of pages in the procedure cache that are
| currently allocated to this process. A negative number
| indicates that the process is freeing memory allocated
| by another process."
|
| if some (Java)applications has a very high figure for this column,
| will it affect the performance of the whole server(for other
| ASP applications)?
|
| the scenario is :
| we have an application server running on another machine. that machine
| accesses this database server (MS Sql 7.0).  there are about 4
applications
| running on the application server.
|
| when i issue a "select * from master..sysprocesses", i could find, that
the
| 4 applications memusage is the highest. Over a period of time, it keeps on
| increasing and those 4 applications fail to respond. Once the application
| server is restarted, things are normal. But, the memusage keep on
increasing
| and EXCEEDS THE PHYSICAL RAM on the SQL server. The CPU usage
| shots to 100%  at regular intervals also.
|
| waiting for any suggestions....
|
| thanks
|
| -----
| mani.

1. memusage in sysprocesses table

It's not in the FAQ but it's in Sybooks -- see the FAQ for a jump
point (:-)):

      memusage .... int ..... Amount of memory allocated to process

Pablo Sanchez              | Ph # (415) 933.3812        Fax # (415) 933.2821

I am accountable for my actions.   http://reality.sgi.com/pablo [ /Sybase_FAQ ]

2. Sample databases?

3. US-PA: Blue Bell-Database Administrator-Oracle

5. DATA CTRL / VB 5 / MSJet / Transactions

6. sysprocesses->memusage, cpuusage

7. open form in edit mode

8. what is sysprocesses.memusage?

9. sysprocesses : memusage....