SQL 7.0 Install on Win XP Pro Error

Post by Neil Pik » Sat, 29 Jun 2002 17:19:18

Edward - choose the "use local system account" to get it installed.  Then
change it later if you need to get stuff like replication working.

 Reply here - no email
 SQL FAQ (484 entries) see
 (faqxxx.zip in lib 7)
 or www.sqlserverfaq.com
 or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

SQL 7.0 Install on Win XP Pro Error

Post by Edward C. D. Hopkin » Sat, 29 Jun 2002 22:56:28

Thanks, Neil.

The Office XP Developer installation instructions require that SQL Server
7.0:
1. Service account setting must be set to use a Domain User account
(default)
2. Must use Integrated Security

Can you tell me if I can achieve this after a "local system account"
installation? If so, I'd appreciate some instructions or pointer to help on
how to return SQL 7 to the default Domain User account and Integrated
Security after the installation.

For what it is worth, I tried to install SQL Server 7 onto a clean Win XP
Pro computer and got the same error warning. I'm surprised there is nothing
in the MSKB on this (or I missed it!).

Cheers,

Chris Hopkins

Quote:> Edward - choose the "use local system account" to get it installed.  Then
> change it later if you need to get stuff like replication working.

>  Neil Pike MVP/MCSE.  Protech Computing Ltd
>  Reply here - no email
>  SQL FAQ (484 entries) see
>  http://forumsb.compuserve.com/gvforums/UK/default.asp?SRV=MSDevApps
>  (faqxxx.zip in lib 7)
>  or www.ntfaq.com/Articles/Index.cfm?DepartmentID=800
>  or www.sqlserverfaq.com
>  or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

SQL 7.0 Install on Win XP Pro Error

Post by Edward C. D. Hopkin » Sun, 30 Jun 2002 02:39:26

OK, I've found the exact problem, but need directions on how to make the
fix. It's described in article Q298391 at
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q298391

"RESOLUTION
Quit Setup and change the MSSQLServer and SQLServerAgent services to use a
domain user name. Then, restart Setup. When you restart Setup, you can click
to select the Workflow Services for SQL Server check box."

Would someone please point me to directions on how to make these changes?

Cheers,

Chris Hopkins

SQL 7.0 Install on Win XP Pro Error

Post by Neil Pik » Sun, 30 Jun 2002 04:40:37

Chris,

 I'm guessing this is because the de* requires this, but it isn't needed
for "basic" SQL Server operation.  If this does get you around the install
issues, you can change the account used either with Enterprise Manager or from
control panel/admin tools/services

 Reply here - no email
 SQL FAQ (484 entries) see
 http://www.veryComputer.com/
 (faqxxx.zip in lib 7)
 or www.sqlserverfaq.com
 or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

SQL 7.0 Install on Win XP Pro Error

Post by Neil Pik » Sun, 30 Jun 2002 05:55:25

Chris - that Kb talks about installing Office Workflow developer.  it assume
SQL Server is already there

 Reply here - no email
 SQL FAQ (484 entries) see
 (faqxxx.zip in lib 7)
 or www.sqlserverfaq.com
 or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

SQL 7.0 Install on Win XP Pro Error

Post by Edward C. D. Hopkin » Sun, 30 Jun 2002 06:15:50

Neil,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I used your advice to install SQL 7 DE, patched
with SP4, but since we bypassed the domain account install now I get the
error described in the MSKB article. Can you tell me how to find the
MSSQLServer and SQLServerAgent services and change them to use a domain user
name?

Many thanks for the help,

Chris Hopkins

Quote:> Chris - that Kb talks about installing Office Workflow developer.  it
assume
> SQL Server is already there

>  Neil Pike MVP/MCSE.  Protech Computing Ltd
>  Reply here - no email
>  SQL FAQ (484 entries) see
>  http://forumsb.compuserve.com/gvforums/UK/default.asp?SRV=MSDevApps
>  (faqxxx.zip in lib 7)
>  or www.ntfaq.com/Articles/Index.cfm?DepartmentID=800
>  or www.sqlserverfaq.com
>  or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

SQL 7.0 Install on Win XP Pro Error

Post by Neil Pik » Tue, 02 Jul 2002 02:03:10

 Edward - go to control panel/services, choose the service, choose startup and
change the option there

 > Thanks for the reply. Yes, I used your advice to install SQL 7 DE, patched

> with SP4, but since we bypassed the domain account install now I get the
> error described in the MSKB article. Can you tell me how to find the
> MSSQLServer and SQLServerAgent services and change them to use a domain user
> name?

> Many thanks for the help,

> Chris Hopkins

> > Chris - that Kb talks about installing Office Workflow developer.  it
> assume
> > SQL Server is already there

> >  Neil Pike MVP/MCSE.  Protech Computing Ltd
> >  Reply here - no email
> >  SQL FAQ (484 entries) see
> >  http://forumsb.compuserve.com/gvforums/UK/default.asp?SRV=MSDevApps
> >  (faqxxx.zip in lib 7)
> >  or www.ntfaq.com/Articles/Index.cfm?DepartmentID=800
> >  or www.sqlserverfaq.com
> >  or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

 Reply here - no email
 SQL FAQ (484 entries) see
 (faqxxx.zip in lib 7)
 or www.sqlserverfaq.com
 or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

1. SQL2K on Win XP Pro Install Error

I have been trying to install SQL Server 2K Personal
Edition on my work PC, which is running Windows XP
Professional.     I get an error message during the
configuration of the server.   It is listed in the
attached log file.   Thanks for your help!

Wade

  sqlstp.log
17K Download

2. cursors and perl DBD::Oracle

3. How to install SQL server 2K ent on Win XP Pro

4. 80004005: Cannot Create Session

5. Problems installing SQL Server 2000 on Win XP Pro

6. Which Oracle release is certified for Citrix/Win200 Terminal Server

7. install sql 2000 on win xp pro?

8. MS SQL Server 7.0 and Win XP Pro?

9. Installing SQL Server 7.0 desktop version on Windows XP Pro

10. MDSE won't Install on Windows XP Pro

11. MDAC Error installing SQL Server on Win XP