sql mail not sending or picking up new messages

sql mail not sending or picking up new messages

Post by Bobbi Flemin » Sun, 09 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Good Saturday to all,

Quick question.

I've noticed over the last couple of days that SQL mail just stops
working.
We have a web based application using IIS and SQL 7.0.

Everything works fine for a day or so, then it just stops. When you try
execute the extended sp to check for new messages, nothing. It just
hangs.
After a quick shutdown, reboot the server, everything is sent. All the
messages
in the queue are sent. Go figure.

I didn't notice any bug listings but thought I'd ask in case I missed
one.
SQL Server 7.0 - SP1 installed, and NT 4.0.

Thanks, have a good one.

sql mail not sending or picking up new messages

Post by Dwayne Lanclo » Sun, 16 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

> Everything works fine for a day or so, then it just stops. When you try
> execute the extended sp to check for new messages, nothing. It just
> hangs.
> After a quick shutdown, reboot the server, everything is sent. All the
> messages
> in the queue are sent. Go figure.

My guess is that you are sending mail to a POP3/SMTP server.  If, for some
reason (and very often with POP3 servers) you cannot connect, then your SQL
Mail will hang and you have to stop/restart SQL Server to get it going
again.  You could put your POP3 server on the same box as your SQL Server or
use Exchange which is more robust.