Calling an external program from a Trigger

Calling an external program from a Trigger

Post by Matthias Oertl » Sun, 22 Oct 2000 13:03:52

I have an application (over which I have no control) that inserts
records into a SQL Server 6.5 hosted table.
Some of these records I would like to send of to an external program
as soon as they're inserted.
I was thinking that this might be possible with an INSERT trigger but
I'm not sure if a trigger can invoke an external program.
How would I go about doing this?
Regards,
Matthias

Calling an external program from a Trigger

Post by BP Margoli » Sun, 22 Oct 2000 13:24:10

Matthias,

I don't have a SQL Server 6.5 installation available to me any more, but
there should be documentation in the SQL Server Books Online on the extended
stored procedure xp_cmdshell.

BP Margolin
Please reply only to the newsgroups.