Record level replication

Post by Michael J Lawrenc » Fri, 26 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Howdy all.  I am new to the newsgroup, so please be kind.  If I*up,
let me know.

I need to know if you can configure replication at the record level.  Let's
say I have the entire database for an organization at HQ and segregate it
into three subordinate databases according to some record property.  What I
would like to then do is have the HQ database replicate the portion of the
database that is tagged a certain way to the appropriate destination.  So,
let's say I tag some records for Dallas, some for C*te and some for
San Francisco.  I then need the HQ database to replicate JUST the C*te
records to C*te, etc....

Is this possible?

Thanks to all,

Michael J Lawrence
Fox Technology.

Record level replication

Post by Neil Pik » Sat, 27 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Michael,

 Yes SQL can do this with the built-in replication facilities.  You just need
to write stored-procedure(s) to handle the partitioning of the data, so that
only the correct branches data is passed on.

 Neil Pike MVP/MCSE
 Protech Computing Ltd (MS Solution Provider)
 Using Virtual Access 4.01 build 232 (32-bit) on NT 4.0 SP3

Record level replication

Post by Michael J Lawrenc » Sat, 27 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Thanks, Neil

I'm actually in the pre-purchase phase and don't know much about SZL Server
programming but need to make sure it's the right tool for the job.  Having
said that, if I could impose upon you with a couple more questions:

1.) Can the databases communicate with each other strictly via TCP/IP.
This is REALLY important as I need to tie the databases together over the
Internet via VPN.

2.)  Can a branch be replicated to multiple databases that are targeted
according to record tag that determines which branch the record belongs to?

(If RecordBranch=DALLAS then Replicate to DALLAS DB and SOUTHWEST DB)

Not looking for a programming lesson here, just whether or not this
implementation is doable.

Thanks again for the assist,

MJL

Record level replication

Post by Neil Pik » Sat, 27 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> 1.) Can the databases communicate with each other strictly via TCP/IP.
> This is REALLY important as I need to tie the databases together over the
> Internet via VPN.

 Yes, no problem.

Quote:> 2.)  Can a branch be replicated to multiple databases that are targeted
> according to record tag that determines which branch the record belongs to?

> (If RecordBranch=DALLAS then Replicate to DALLAS DB and SOUTHWEST DB)

 Not like this.  What you do is set-up a publication for each Branch.  Each
publication would be restricted to just the records required.  So for 26
branches you would have 26 publications.

 Neil Pike MVP/MCSE
 Protech Computing Ltd (MS Solution Provider)
 Using Virtual Access 4.01 build 232 (32-bit) on NT 4.0 SP3

Record level replication

Post by steve robinso » Sun, 28 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Michael,

I see you have two discussions going on here.  I hope you dont mind me
butting in.  Anyway to answer all the question so far

1.  You  could set a restriction clause on the artice eg where applicantid
like "BA%".

Where BA denoted the branch.  This would remove the need for the customised
procedures to partition the data.

2.  IP is fine.

3.  To replicate to mutliple branches from a headoffice based on the
restriction clause you could set the other branches as subscribers to that
article / publication ?

I am currently doing all of the above across about 100 server around the
country

I hope this is ok for you.  Sorry again for butting in.

--
Steve Robinson MCP (SQL /NT)

1. Record Level replication

Howdy all.

Does anyone know if SQL Server supports record level replication?  Business
model:

Let's say the entire database for an organization resides at HQ in Boston.
Within this database, each record is tagged with a property to indicate
which sattelite office database it should be replicated on.  Now, during
replication, I need HQ to know which records to replicate to which remote
database.

Is this possible?

Thanks,

Michael J Lawrence
Fox Technology.

2. rs.AddNew not supported by driver

3. Record-Level or Page-Level Locking

4. FREE SOFTWARE for splitting/merging large files in seconds

5. Module-level multiple-record recordset vs temp single-record recordset

6. ODBCDirect error in VB: 3146 Descriptor type out of range ???

7. Minimum security level for SQL Agent for replication

8. playing game

9. Advice needed on replication (row level)

10. Merge replication on coumn level, is it possible??

11. Three level replication problem - what is the right topology

12. Replication and compatibility level

13. Field Level Merge Replication