Problems with SQL 2000, Windows 2000 AS, and Multiple NIC cards

Problems with SQL 2000, Windows 2000 AS, and Multiple NIC cards

Post by Roger » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 20:38:12

Hello,

I have two nearly identical servers running Windows 2000. Server A is an
Active Directory server, Server B is my SQL 2000 Server.

I have an application that relies on a database on the SQL Server.

The two servers are each Intel SDS-2 boards with dual on-board 10/100 NIC's,
and a 1 Gbit Intel Server/1000 board.

When I connect all three NIC's on each server through my 10/100 switch,
everything works perfectly. I can communicate with the SQL server, I can map
drives, I have full connectivity.

However, when I plug the 1 GBit cards into a separate 1 Gbit switch, I can
no longer communicate with the SQL server (I test this with Enterprise
Manager from Server A).

Strangely, From the SQL server at this point, by looking at the amount of
time the load is taking, Server B seems to be using a cached user profile.

Despite this, I can access the two servers still through their shared
drives..

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Roger

Problems with SQL 2000, Windows 2000 AS, and Multiple NIC cards

Post by Matjaz Ladav » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 22:06:23

Depends which NIC port is first in network binding order. Check that. Also
please post your ip configuration.

--
Regards

Matjaz Ladava, MCSE (NT4 & 2000)

http://ladava.com

Quote:> Hello,

> I have two nearly identical servers running Windows 2000. Server A is an
> Active Directory server, Server B is my SQL 2000 Server.

> I have an application that relies on a database on the SQL Server.

> The two servers are each Intel SDS-2 boards with dual on-board 10/100
NIC's,
> and a 1 Gbit Intel Server/1000 board.

> When I connect all three NIC's on each server through my 10/100 switch,
> everything works perfectly. I can communicate with the SQL server, I can
map
> drives, I have full connectivity.

> However, when I plug the 1 GBit cards into a separate 1 Gbit switch, I can
> no longer communicate with the SQL server (I test this with Enterprise
> Manager from Server A).

> Strangely, From the SQL server at this point, by looking at the amount of
> time the load is taking, Server B seems to be using a cached user profile.

> Despite this, I can access the two servers still through their shared
> drives..

> Any help would be greatly appreciated!

> Roger

Problems with SQL 2000, Windows 2000 AS, and Multiple NIC cards

Post by Roger » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 22:27:31

Quote:> Depends which NIC port is first in network binding order. Check that. Also
> please post your ip configuration.

OK, so how do I change the binding order? Will SQL only communicate over the
first NIC? Can I specify Which port it should prefer, and have secondary
defined?

As far as the IP configuration all three cards are sequential on the same
subnet, actually technically all six are, as the three in one machine are
sequential to the three in the other machine.

xxx.xxx.xxx.xx4
xxx.xxx.xxx.xx5
xxx.xxx.xxx.xx6

xxx.xxx.xxx.xx7
xxx.xxx.xxx.xx8
xxx.xxx.xxx.xx9

> --
> Regards

> Matjaz Ladava, MCSE (NT4 & 2000)

> http://ladava.com

> > Hello,

> > I have two nearly identical servers running Windows 2000. Server A is an
> > Active Directory server, Server B is my SQL 2000 Server.

> > I have an application that relies on a database on the SQL Server.

> > The two servers are each Intel SDS-2 boards with dual on-board 10/100
> NIC's,
> > and a 1 Gbit Intel Server/1000 board.

> > When I connect all three NIC's on each server through my 10/100 switch,
> > everything works perfectly. I can communicate with the SQL server, I can
> map
> > drives, I have full connectivity.

> > However, when I plug the 1 GBit cards into a separate 1 Gbit switch, I
can
> > no longer communicate with the SQL server (I test this with Enterprise
> > Manager from Server A).

> > Strangely, From the SQL server at this point, by looking at the amount
of
> > time the load is taking, Server B seems to be using a cached user
profile.

> > Despite this, I can access the two servers still through their shared
> > drives..

> > Any help would be greatly appreciated!

> > Roger

Problems with SQL 2000, Windows 2000 AS, and Multiple NIC cards

Post by Matjaz Ladav » Tue, 17 Jun 2003 06:02:17

If all adapters are on the same subnet, then binding order doesn't matter.
What are you trying to achieve ? Greater throughput ? In this case you are
not performing this. To do this you must use adapter teaming (if your card
supports it). This will team all adapter into one with one IP. This will
give you right configuration for greater throughput and fault tolerance.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;175767
What I see here is the problem with netbios. Netbios can register only one
netbios name on given subnet, so you are probably seeing entries in EventLog
because of that. If your server registers NetBIOS name of Server1 to 1
adapter, then it won't respond with the same netbios name on 2-nd
adapter,....

--
Regards

Matjaz Ladava, MCSE (NT4 & 2000)

http://ladava.com

> > Depends which NIC port is first in network binding order. Check that.
Also
> > please post your ip configuration.

> OK, so how do I change the binding order? Will SQL only communicate over
the
> first NIC? Can I specify Which port it should prefer, and have secondary
> defined?

> As far as the IP configuration all three cards are sequential on the same
> subnet, actually technically all six are, as the three in one machine are
> sequential to the three in the other machine.

> xxx.xxx.xxx.xx4
> xxx.xxx.xxx.xx5
> xxx.xxx.xxx.xx6

> xxx.xxx.xxx.xx7
> xxx.xxx.xxx.xx8
> xxx.xxx.xxx.xx9

> > --
> > Regards

> > Matjaz Ladava, MCSE (NT4 & 2000)

> > http://ladava.com

> > > Hello,

> > > I have two nearly identical servers running Windows 2000. Server A is
an
> > > Active Directory server, Server B is my SQL 2000 Server.

> > > I have an application that relies on a database on the SQL Server.

> > > The two servers are each Intel SDS-2 boards with dual on-board 10/100
> > NIC's,
> > > and a 1 Gbit Intel Server/1000 board.

> > > When I connect all three NIC's on each server through my 10/100
switch,
> > > everything works perfectly. I can communicate with the SQL server, I
can
> > map
> > > drives, I have full connectivity.

> > > However, when I plug the 1 GBit cards into a separate 1 Gbit switch, I
> can
> > > no longer communicate with the SQL server (I test this with Enterprise
> > > Manager from Server A).

> > > Strangely, From the SQL server at this point, by looking at the amount
> of
> > > time the load is taking, Server B seems to be using a cached user
> profile.

> > > Despite this, I can access the two servers still through their shared
> > > drives..

> > > Any help would be greatly appreciated!

> > > Roger

Problems with SQL 2000, Windows 2000 AS, and Multiple NIC cards

Post by Roger » Tue, 17 Jun 2003 21:49:05

The Windows NT 4.0 Driver from intel had specific adapter teaming, but now
the new driver does not offer it.

What I was hoping to do was to run SQL as a back-end service which
communicated through the servers at 1 GBit, and then allow the regular users
to come in on the 100 MBit cards...

> If all adapters are on the same subnet, then binding order doesn't matter.
> What are you trying to achieve ? Greater throughput ? In this case you are
> not performing this. To do this you must use adapter teaming (if your card
> supports it). This will team all adapter into one with one IP. This will
> give you right configuration for greater throughput and fault tolerance.
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;175767
> What I see here is the problem with netbios. Netbios can register only one
> netbios name on given subnet, so you are probably seeing entries in
EventLog
> because of that. If your server registers NetBIOS name of Server1 to 1
> adapter, then it won't respond with the same netbios name on 2-nd
> adapter,....

> --
> Regards

> Matjaz Ladava, MCSE (NT4 & 2000)

> http://ladava.com

> > > Depends which NIC port is first in network binding order. Check that.
> Also
> > > please post your ip configuration.

> > OK, so how do I change the binding order? Will SQL only communicate over
> the
> > first NIC? Can I specify Which port it should prefer, and have secondary
> > defined?

> > As far as the IP configuration all three cards are sequential on the
same
> > subnet, actually technically all six are, as the three in one machine
are
> > sequential to the three in the other machine.

> > xxx.xxx.xxx.xx4
> > xxx.xxx.xxx.xx5
> > xxx.xxx.xxx.xx6

> > xxx.xxx.xxx.xx7
> > xxx.xxx.xxx.xx8
> > xxx.xxx.xxx.xx9

> > > --
> > > Regards

> > > Matjaz Ladava, MCSE (NT4 & 2000)

> > > http://ladava.com

> an

> > > NIC's,

> switch,
> can
> > > map

> > can
Enterprise

> > of
> > profile.

1. Problems with SQL 2000 and Multiple NIC Cards

[...]

2. need info on DESIGN/OA or NEXPERT

3. SQL 2000 problem with multiple network cards

4. SQL DMO

5. Multithreading Problem with SQL Server 2000 on Windows 2000

6. Ingres 2.5 not very stable?

7. installing SQL Server 2000 in windows 2000 OS through Telnet problem

8. Install OEM Problem

9. Problems to Install SQL 2000 Enterprise on Windows 2000 SP3

10. Install Problem with SQL Server 2000 on Windows 2000 Professional

11. Sql 2000 setup problem on Windows 2000

12. Converting from SQL 7 on NT box to SQL 2000 on Windows 2000 new box

13. SQL Email Configuration - SQL Server 2000/Windows 2000