move - servercursor - slow when moving form record 1 to record 20.000

move - servercursor - slow when moving form record 1 to record 20.000

Post by Christian Eckle » Fri, 18 Aug 2000 15:30:19

Hi!

I am using VB6 SQL7.0 and the ADO Connection

    SqlStr = "Select * FROM POS "
    rs.Source = SqlStr
    rs.CursorLocation = adUseServer
    rs.Open , , adOpenDynamic, adLockOptimistic
    rs.MoveFirst
then i fill a Grid in unbound Mode via the rs.move function. If i move in
single steps it runs fast but a move from record 10  to record 20.000 needs
extremly long (22sec.)

Infos:
1. I have to use the Serversided Cursor because the Database holds more than
1.5 Million Records. (A Client Cursor will copy the recordset in to the
clients memory)
2. I can not reduce the reordset with a "where" because the user has to
scroll the hole table

any Ideas ?

Christian Eckler

move - servercursor - slow when moving form record 1 to record 20.000

Post by b.. » Sat, 19 Aug 2000 12:45:25

I've only test SQL server with 4000-5000 records and have not seen this
problem. If you are returning 1.5 million records in a query with say
100 byte records then you are cacheing 150 MB on the server with this
query.  Depending on the memory size on your server and how fast the
server can get this stuff off of disk maybe the reason for the slow
response time.

Better yet why don't you use PervasiveSQL (www.pervasive.com).  It
contains a navigational as well as a relational SQL engine.  It doesn't
consume any memory at all in navigational(aka transactional) mode
except for the records the user has on the screen.  You can
simultaneously use the SQL engine with the navigational engine.
Although the SQL level support is not as accomplished as SQL server it
is starting to get there and the transactional model beats the pants
off SQL server "dumb stuff" if you know what I mean.

GL

Bill Figures
Professional Flight Managment

Quote:> Hi!

> I am using VB6 SQL7.0 and the ADO Connection

>     SqlStr = "Select * FROM POS "
>     rs.Source = SqlStr
>     rs.CursorLocation = adUseServer
>     rs.Open , , adOpenDynamic, adLockOptimistic
>     rs.MoveFirst
> then i fill a Grid in unbound Mode via the rs.move function. If i
move in
> single steps it runs fast but a move from record 10  to record 20.000
needs
> extremly long (22sec.)

> Infos:
> 1. I have to use the Serversided Cursor because the Database holds
more than
> 1.5 Million Records. (A Client Cursor will copy the recordset in to
the
> clients memory)
> 2. I can not reduce the reordset with a "where" because the user has
> scroll the hole table

> any Ideas ?

> Christian Eckler

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. move - servercursor - slow when moving form record 1 to record 20.000

Hi!

I am using VB6 SQL7.0 and the ADO Connection

    SqlStr = "Select * FROM POS "
    rs.Source = SqlStr
    rs.CursorLocation = adUseServer
    rs.Open , , adOpenDynamic, adLockOptimistic
    rs.MoveFirst
then i fill a Grid in unbound Mode via the rs.move function. If i move in
single steps it runs fast but a move from record 10  to record 20.000 needs
extremly long (22sec.)

Infos:
1. I have to use the Serversided Cursor because the Database holds more than
1.5 Million Records. (A Client Cursor will copy the recordset in to the
clients memory)
2. I can not reduce the reordset with a "where" because the user has to
scroll the hole table

any Ideas ?

Christian Eckler

2. pgsql/src/bin psql/zh_TW.po zh_TW.po

3. Very slow to move from record to record (Delphi2, local dBase)

4. Duplicating layouts among database files

5. ADODB::Recordset::Move() erroneously setting EOF when moving to last record

6. Change column size in SQL6.5

7. Help with the DUMP statement

8. Moving records form one Access Db to another

9. p4win: Moving record pointer in forms

10. How to move record pointer in nonactive form?

11. Bottom 20% records and Null records

12. --How to get a set of records say from 20 to 30 records