Import Access database table into SQL

Post by Phil Bouadan » Fri, 24 Jan 2003 21:53:53

When I import an Access database table into my SQL
database, using the import/export wizard - quotes are
automatically wrapped around the text I import (quoted
Identifiers are ON). The trouble is, I don't know how to
turn them off. Is there any way to stop or wswitch off
the quoted identifiers?

Import Access database table into SQL

Post by Allan Mitchel » Sat, 25 Jan 2003 04:49:28

I have just imported an Access teable and did not have this problem

Can you tell us a bit more about your environment and test so we can
reproduce

--

Allan Mitchell (Microsoft SQL Server MVP)
MCSE,MCDBA

Quote:> When I import an Access database table into my SQL
> database, using the import/export wizard - quotes are
> automatically wrapped around the text I import (quoted
> Identifiers are ON). The trouble is, I don't know how to
> turn them off. Is there any way to stop or wswitch off
> the quoted identifiers?

Import Access database table into SQL

Post by Phil Bouadan » Tue, 28 Jan 2003 09:16:14

Access table - 2 columns - both of type 'text'.

Using SQL Server 2000 developer edition, I use Enterprise
manager to 'Import data' specifying my access database as
the source and my existing SQL database as the
destination. I use a query to specify the data to
transfer (incidentally the 3rd option to 'copy objects
and data from sql database' is greyed out for obvious
reasons - but thats where you can switch off the quoted
identifiers).

When the data transfer completes, my SQL table with the
imported data has quotes wrapped around the text in one
of the columns because the text has spaces bew* the
words.

1. HOW TO - Import all Access tables into an existing SQL Database

I have a SQL Server database created to replace an Access 97 database as a
back-end

For testing I want to create a SQL Server test database from a specific copy
of the existing Access database
The test database will be used to test a new front-end for the SQL database.

Each test cycle the SQL test  database will need to be recreated since
testing will change the data!

What is the easiest method of creating the test SQL database ?

cheers

Andrew

andrewbingham.com

tel        01223 514674 (Cambridge)
mobile  07970 161057
fax        07970 601283

DISCLAIMER, PLEASE NOTE:
This communication is for the attention of the named recipient only
The content should not be passed on to any other person.
It is sent in good faith, in confidence, and without legal responsibility.

VIRUS CHECK
Emails and attachments are virus checked using Norton? AntiVirus?
2002 which is regularly updated. However  it remains the recipients
responsibility to check emails and attachments sent, or forwarded,
from andrewbingham.com for viruses and macro viruses

2. Printing barcodes ...

3. Import Access tables into SQL database

4. Microsoft Access

5. Importing an Access 2000 table into another Access 2000 database with VB Code

6. User selected search columns

7. HELP: **** DAO: Importing database tables from an ODBC source to an MS Access database

8. transaction log

9. importing an excel/access table to a SQL 7.0 table

10. Importing Advantage Database Tables into Access 2000

11. Q: Importing ascii delimitted to Access 7.0 existing database/tables

12. Import of Tables from one Access-database to another

13. Importing tables between Access databases