PBM: SQL Svr 7 Enterprise Manager truncates long views when opened Creation mode

PBM: SQL Svr 7 Enterprise Manager truncates long views when opened Creation mode

Post by Vince C » Thu, 15 May 2003 10:15:25

Hi,

Double clicking on a view opens it in a property page that shows the CREATE
VIEW code. Opening a long view in Creation mode deletes a large portion of
the SQL statement. For instance we have a long that aliases SELECTed fields
and has LEFT/RIGHT JOIN clauses. If we open it in creation mode the first
1/3rd (approximately) of the view code appears and is appended with a
portion of JOIN clauses.

It looks random and we have not found the pattern yet. Has anyone
experienced this?

Thanks.

Vince C.

PBM: SQL Svr 7 Enterprise Manager truncates long views when opened Creation mode

Post by Aaron Bertrand - MV » Thu, 15 May 2003 15:18:45

Quote:> Double clicking on a view opens it in a property page that shows the
CREATE
> VIEW code.

A better place for a developer to inspect / modify code would be Query
Analyzer, IMHO.

Post by Vince C » Fri, 16 May 2003 10:18:20

Quote:> > Double clicking on a view opens it in a property page that shows the
> CREATE
> > VIEW code.

> A better place for a developer to inspect / modify code would be Query
> Analyzer, IMHO.

Thanks Aaron. I agree. But I'd like to know if truncating the view is a
known issue/bug or not. Could you reproduce it?

Vince C.

PBM: SQL Svr 7 Enterprise Manager truncates long views when opened Creation mode

Post by Aaron Bertrand - MV » Fri, 16 May 2003 16:42:58

I don't have a 7.0 EM here to test.  But I'll bet the problem you're seeing
is that EM's GUI is limited to 8192 characters.