SQL 7.0 / IIS 5.0 connection problem

Post by Robert Moi » Tue, 25 Jun 2002 22:59:40

I have two W2K servers, both member servers of an NT 4 domain. Both are SP2,
running IIS 5.0 just fine.

One of them has SQL Server 7.0 SP4 installed and I can use this just fine
for ASP pages on the local machine, but when I try to connect from the
remote IIS server I get connection errors

[State =01000][Error=1326][Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL
Server][dbnmpntw] ConnectionOpen (CreateFile()) - Quite an old classic of an
error.

I've worked through Q152828 without getting anywhere, and also Q68941 shows
no problems.

The IUSR_<server> account the remote IIS system uses is configured as a
domain account in the domain they both share, and given access to SQL server
in enterprise manager.

I'm stumped! Am I missing some very fundemental thing or is there something
weird happening here? Thanks for any help!

Rob Moir

SQL 7.0 / IIS 5.0 connection problem

Post by Tom Kaminski [MVP » Tue, 25 Jun 2002 23:45:11

Quote:> I have two W2K servers, both member servers of an NT 4 domain. Both are
SP2,
> running IIS 5.0 just fine.

> One of them has SQL Server 7.0 SP4 installed and I can use this just fine
> for ASP pages on the local machine, but when I try to connect from the
> remote IIS server I get connection errors

> [State =01000][Error=1326][Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL
> Server][dbnmpntw] ConnectionOpen (CreateFile()) - Quite an old classic of
an
> error.

> I've worked through Q152828 without getting anywhere, and also Q68941
shows
> no problems.

> The IUSR_<server> account the remote IIS system uses is configured as a
> domain account in the domain they both share, and given access to SQL
server
> in enterprise manager.

> I'm stumped! Am I missing some very fundemental thing or is there
something
> weird happening here? Thanks for any help!

sounds like a delegation issue.  try tcp/ip instead of named pipes.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnau...

correct for URL wrap:
http://search.support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?Catalog=LCID%...
26CDID%3DEN-US-KB%26PRODLISTSRC%3DON&Product=msall&Query=iis%2520named%2520p
ipes%2520sql&Queryc=iis+named+pipes+sql&withinResults=false&srchstep=0&Keywo
rdType=ALL&Titles=false&numDays=&maxResults=150

1. Trusted connection between SQL Server 2000 and IIS 5.0

The Problem:
    We have SSL set up on our IIS5 machine.  In some ASP pages we open a
connection to an SQL database residing on a different machine in the same
network and domain.  The SQL Server was set up to use SQL Server
authentication.  We have now upgraded the SQL Server machine and are using
Windows authentication instead.  I also went in to IIS and changed the
anonymous user for this website from IUSR_MachineName(which is local to the
webserver machine) to one of our users in the domain(actually, the same user
that we use for the SQL Server).  Now when I run these same ASP scripts that
access the SQL Server, I get a popup in the browser that says:

 "An ActiveX control on this page is not safe.  Your current security
settings prohibit running unsafe controls on this page.  As a result, this
page may not display as intended."

The page works correctly, but the connection is no longer secure (still an
https address, but the little yellow lock on the browser is gone showing
that this is no longer a secure connection).

The SQL Connection string in the asp pages now is:
"DRIVER=SQL
Server;SERVER=SQLMACHINE;Trusted_Connection=yes;DATABASE=OURDATABASE;Network
=DBMSSOCN;"

Why do I now get these ActiveX control error messages now?

The Setup:  Windows 2000 Server with SQL Server 2000, Windows 2000 Server
with IIS5 all running on a microsoft network.

Thank you for any help.
Chris

2. ER/win & S-Designor

3. sql 2000 iis 5 ado database connection problem -- connections slow

4. Connection Management

5. Multiple connections to SQL 7.0 from IIS cause major slowdown

6. Levels in SQl server pricing

7. IIS 5.0 and SQL Server 2000 - Problem accessing a DB trough a firewall

8. IIS 5.0 and ODBC Connection Pooling

9. SQL 7 - IIS ASP IUSR connection problems....

10. Win2000, IIS, , sql 2000, trusted connection problem - help

11. SP2 - IIS & SQL Connection problem