installing sql 2000 personal edition on same machine as sql 7 standard edition

installing sql 2000 personal edition on same machine as sql 7 standard edition

Post by Tore » Sat, 18 Aug 2001 00:50:33

As you apparently can't manage an installation of sql server 2000 from the
sql server 7 MMC snap-in (thanks microsoft, couldn't you at least support
compatibility between successive releases), I was wondering if I could
install 2000 personal edition alongside a standard edition of sql server 7
and not cause any problems.  I would then control both instances from the
MMC snap-in for the 2000 personal edition which would be on the sql 7 box.
Anyone done this before?  Please advise.  Thanks.
Regards,
Tore

installing sql 2000 personal edition on same machine as sql 7 standard edition

Post by Ron Talmag » Sat, 18 Aug 2001 00:55:14

Tore,

You can install SQL Server 2000 Personal Edition on the same machine as SQL
Server 7.0, but you must give the SQL Server 2000 a distinct named instance.
Then the two SQL Servers will not have the same server name.

The SQL Server 2000 instance name will be a combination of the machine name,
backslash, and the instance name.

Also, SQL Server 2000 will overwrite the SQL Server 7.0 client tools
(Enterprise Manager, Query Analyzer, Profiler), and you can manage SQL
Server 7.0 using the 2000 tools.

HTH,
Ron
--