Apply changes from devcelopment server to production server

Apply changes from devcelopment server to production server

Post by YA » Wed, 26 Mar 2003 00:56:38

I have 2 SQL Servers:  production server and development server.
I have made severals changes in the development server and I want to apply
them on the production server.
How do I do that ?
I know that I can use SQLCompare from http://www.red-gate.com.
Is there a freeware solution ?

Thanks for your time.

Apply changes from devcelopment server to production server

Post by Narayana Vyas Kondredd » Wed, 26 Mar 2003 03:53:13

I am not aware of any freeware applications. But are you talking about
structural changes or data changes?

In case of structural changes, you should create script for all changes, and
save them in a version control software like VSS. When you want to go live,
you simply retrieve these scripts and run them in Live environment. That is
what I do, and I don't use any third party products for this. However, for
this process to work properly, you must make sure all the changes are
scripted and maintained safely in VSS, and not make any changes directly in
Enterprise Manager. Good luck.
--
HTH,
Vyas, MVP (SQL Server)

I have 2 SQL Servers:  production server and development server.
I have made severals changes in the development server and I want to apply
them on the production server.
How do I do that ?
I know that I can use SQLCompare from http://www.red-gate.com.
Is there a freeware solution ?

Thanks for your time.

Apply changes from devcelopment server to production server

Post by YA » Wed, 26 Mar 2003 16:53:28

I am talking about structual changes only
How do I create those structural changes scripts ?
Since I have not done those scripts in this case, is there other solution ?

Thanks

> I am not aware of any freeware applications. But are you talking about
> structural changes or data changes?

> In case of structural changes, you should create script for all changes,
and
> save them in a version control software like VSS. When you want to go
live,
> you simply retrieve these scripts and run them in Live environment. That
is
> what I do, and I don't use any third party products for this. However, for
> this process to work properly, you must make sure all the changes are
> scripted and maintained safely in VSS, and not make any changes directly
in
> Enterprise Manager. Good luck.
> --
> HTH,
> Vyas, MVP (SQL Server)
> http://vyaskn.tripod.com/

> I have 2 SQL Servers:  production server and development server.
> I have made severals changes in the development server and I want to apply
> them on the production server.
> How do I do that ?
> I know that I can use SQLCompare from http://www.red-gate.com.
> Is there a freeware solution ?

> Thanks for your time.

Apply changes from devcelopment server to production server

Post by Narayana Vyas Kondredd » Thu, 27 Mar 2003 17:23:47

You will have to manually identify the changes and apply them to your other
environment, unfortunately.

Here's what I'm saying about scripts. For example, you want to alter the
data type of a column from char(2) to varchar(25). Instead of quickly
changing this in Enterprise Manager, create the following script:

ALTER TABLE YourTable ALTER COLUMN YourColumn varchar(25) NOT NULL
GO

Now run this script in your development environment. Then save the script.
When you are ready to go live, retrieve this script from VSS and run it in
live environment.

All it takes is a bit of process on your part. I know it is quick and easy
to do such changes in Enterprise Manager, but you will get into problems
like the one you are currently facing.
--
HTH,
Vyas, MVP (SQL Server)