trouble getting started on Win98

Post by Bob O'Neil » Sat, 12 Aug 2000 04:00:00

i have desktop eval version for win98... read a previous thread that said
change to TCP/IP from named pipes

my server name is BOB ..do i need to register it first to do anything ? i
keep getting ODBC errors

Thanks for the help

trouble getting started on Win98

Post by Dan Guzma » Sun, 13 Aug 2000 04:00:00

You don't need to register first.  Registering simply allows Enterprise
Manager to remember the server name and connection settings.

Can you connect with Query Analyzer?  What ODBC errors are you getting.

Hope this helps.

Quote:> i have desktop eval version for win98... read a previous thread that said
> change to TCP/IP from named pipes

> my server name is BOB ..do i need to register it first to do anything ? i
> keep getting ODBC errors

> Thanks for the help

trouble getting started on Win98

Post by Bob O'Neil » Sun, 13 Aug 2000 04:00:00

"Unable to connect to Sever \\BOB ... Message 11 level 16 State 1
[microsoft ][odbc sql server driver][TCP\IP Sockets] General Network Error .
Check your Documentation "

that is what the error says

appreciate your reply

>You don't need to register first.  Registering simply allows Enterprise
>Manager to remember the server name and connection settings.

>Can you connect with Query Analyzer?  What ODBC errors are you getting.

>Hope this helps.

>> i have desktop eval version for win98... read a previous thread that said
>> change to TCP/IP from named pipes

>> my server name is BOB ..do i need to register it first to do anything ? i
>> keep getting ODBC errors

>> Thanks for the help

trouble getting started on Win98

Post by Dan Guzma » Sun, 13 Aug 2000 04:00:00

First, do a sanity check.

1) ping BOB from an MS-DOS prompt
2) if ping by name fails, try to ping BOB by IP address
3) if ping by IP address fails, TCP/IP needs to be installed/configured
4) if either ping succeeded, you should be able to connect by name or IP
address if SQL Server is running

Hope this helps.

> "Unable to connect to Sever \\BOB ... Message 11 level 16 State 1
> [microsoft ][odbc sql server driver][TCP\IP Sockets] General Network Error
.
> Check your Documentation "

> that is what the error says

> appreciate your reply

> >You don't need to register first.  Registering simply allows Enterprise
> >Manager to remember the server name and connection settings.

> >Can you connect with Query Analyzer?  What ODBC errors are you getting.

> >Hope this helps.

> >> i have desktop eval version for win98... read a previous thread that
said
> >> change to TCP/IP from named pipes

> >> my server name is BOB ..do i need to register it first to do anything ?
> >> keep getting ODBC errors

> >> Thanks for the help

trouble getting started on Win98

Post by Bob O'Neil » Sun, 13 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Thanks for your help Dan

1. Trouble getting started with MSDE

I downloaded MSDE from Microsoft's site and installed it. Best as I can tell
the install was successful (I checked the setup.log file in C:\Winnt and it
appeared OK). However, if I attempt to create a DSN to "local" or attempt to
connect to it through code it fails. Has anyone successfully connected and
used MSDE. If so please let me know what I am missing.

Thanks
Eben

2. Table Restore

3. trouble getting started with SQLXML

4. Truncate Log On checkpoint setting after Database is created

5. Trouble Getting Started With MSDE

6. SQL Server Question

7. Shared Data Directory - Trouble Getting Started

8. ODTUG Will Not Hold Fall Conference

9. Trouble to install the Trial Version SQL2000 in Win98

10. Troubles installing Oracle 8i under Win98

11. ADODB.Recordset gets Error430 on Win98

12. problem getting a connection in win98 to SQL Server 7.0