Installed SQL Server 2000 on Windows 98 and....

Installed SQL Server 2000 on Windows 98 and....

Post by Doug Svobo » Sun, 17 Mar 2002 06:57:22

I just installed SQL Server 2000 on Windows 98 and was planning on
using it as a development box for VB/SQL application.  Of course I got
a message during installation that said something to the effect of not
being able to install server components on the '98 operating system.
I thought it should be OK because all I really need is the "local"
server to create my db and do my testing against and then I'll worry
about moving the DB's later.

After the installation I open Enterprise Manager and attempt to
register my "local" server.  I have gone through the registration
wizard, chosen my computer as the server, specify "SQL Server
Registration" and then use the 'sa' username and blank password
(haven't changed it yet).  When I get all the way through the wizard
it attempts to connect and I get the following error:

OEMCOMPUTER - SQL Server does not exist or access denied

I have tried it repeatedly and have tried using windows authentication
as well, nothing works.  Anyone have an idea what I might be doing
wrong?  Has anyone tried installing SQL Server 2000 on Windows 98?  Do
I need to upgrade my operating system?  Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Installed SQL Server 2000 on Windows 98 and....

Post by BP Margoli » Sun, 17 Mar 2002 09:07:45

Doug,

Which edition of SQL Server 2000 were you trying to install on Windows 98?

Windows 98 does not support either the Enterprise or Standard editions of
SQL Server 2000. Rather you must install the Personal edition on Windows 98.

Check out the section "Hardware and Software Requirements for Installing SQL
Server 2000" (instsql.chm::/in_overview_74vn.htm) in the SQL Server 2000
Books Online for additional information.

BP Margolin
Please reply only to the newsgroups.

Quote:> I just installed SQL Server 2000 on Windows 98 and was planning on
> using it as a development box for VB/SQL application.  Of course I got
> a message during installation that said something to the effect of not
> being able to install server components on the '98 operating system.
> I thought it should be OK because all I really need is the "local"
> server to create my db and do my testing against and then I'll worry
> about moving the DB's later.

> After the installation I open Enterprise Manager and attempt to
> register my "local" server.  I have gone through the registration
> wizard, chosen my computer as the server, specify "SQL Server
> Registration" and then use the 'sa' username and blank password
> (haven't changed it yet).  When I get all the way through the wizard
> it attempts to connect and I get the following error:

> OEMCOMPUTER - SQL Server does not exist or access denied

> I have tried it repeatedly and have tried using windows authentication
> as well, nothing works.  Anyone have an idea what I might be doing
> wrong?  Has anyone tried installing SQL Server 2000 on Windows 98?  Do
> I need to upgrade my operating system?  Any help would be greatly
> appreciated.

1. SQL Server 2000 Evaluation on Windows 98 with MSDE Install

SQL Server 2000 Evaluation on Windows 98 with MSDE Install

I'm running Windows 98 and can't upgrade till I get a new machien
preloaded with Windows 2000.

I want to learn SQL Server and have downloaded the SQL Server 2000
evaluation.

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/productinfo/sysreq.htm

states:

SQL Server 2000 Personal Edition1 and Desktop Engine run on the
operating systems listed above ... as well as on Microsoft Windows 98.

I already have MS Access, FoxPro 6, and MS MSDE installed on this
machine.

I assume the Evaluation install will realize I am running Windows 98.

Will the install of whatever the installation program is willing to
install on a Windows 98 machine, over write or duplicate my MSDE
instalation with a newer version?

Should I uninstall MSDE first.

Are there any other precautions I should take, or things I should
consider?

My reason for wanting to learn SQL Server has to do with its
popularity on web hosting machines where I would publish my web site,
as opposed to FoxPro, which is not very common place and Access which
the hosting companies recommend against.

John "J.J." Jackson

2. Java 1.3 and Oracle connection

3. SQL Server Remote Registration Failure from Window 98 to Windows 2000 Server

4. help with interface PostGres to c++

5. Cannot Install Microsoft SQL server 2000 or 7.0 on 98 and Xp

6. Permissions under JET 2.0

7. To rotate Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Evaluation Edition in Windows 98 IF

8. Server State Icon

9. SQL Server 2000 In Windows 98

10. Windows 98 Jet 4.0 Replication with SQL Server 2000 fails

11. Novice SQL Server 2000 Setup on Windows 98 machine

12. Type Name is Invalid error -- Windows 2000/98 application with SQL Server/stored procedure problem