Clustering Test Lab with cheap components especially SCSI termination/configuration

Clustering Test Lab with cheap components especially SCSI termination/configuration

Post by Andreas Semmelman » Tue, 17 Jun 2003 15:04:20

Hello Folks.

I ve setup two servers with internal IDE-Drives and in each machine an
Adaptec 2940u2W with two external drives on one bus. I didnt get this
system to a stable condition. If i boot up the machines i tooks very long
time and if the machines are up they freeze. Can somebody tell me how I must
exactly configure my SCSI devices? Temination/initialization and so on.
Thanks a lot for your help.

Semmelmann Andreas:

Clustering Test Lab with cheap components especially SCSI termination/configuration

Post by Geoff N. Hite » Tue, 17 Jun 2003 21:20:22

Change one controller to SCSI ID 6.
Both controllers should terminate the bus.
Disable all on-board write caching on both controllers.
To boot the system, power up one machine and hold it at the BIOS prompt.
Fully boot the other one, then finish booting the first one.

--
Geoff N. Hiten
Senior Database Administrator

> Hello Folks.

> I ve setup two servers with internal IDE-Drives and in each machine an
> Adaptec 2940u2W with two external drives on one bus. I didnt get this
> system to a stable condition. If i boot up the machines i tooks very long
> time and if the machines are up they freeze. Can somebody tell me how I
must
> exactly configure my SCSI devices? Temination/initialization and so on.
> Thanks a lot for your help.

> Semmelmann Andreas:

Clustering Test Lab with cheap components especially SCSI termination/configuration

Post by Andreas Semmelman » Tue, 17 Jun 2003 23:46:34

Thanks Geoff for your reply. I hoped you read my posting. I will try your
tips.

> Change one controller to SCSI ID 6.
> Both controllers should terminate the bus.
> Disable all on-board write caching on both controllers.
> To boot the system, power up one machine and hold it at the BIOS prompt.
> Fully boot the other one, then finish booting the first one.

> --
> Geoff N. Hiten
> Senior Database Administrator
> Careerbuilder.com

> > Hello Folks.

> > I ve setup two servers with internal IDE-Drives and in each machine an
> > Adaptec 2940u2W with two external drives on one bus. I didnt get this
> > system to a stable condition. If i boot up the machines i tooks very
long
> > time and if the machines are up they freeze. Can somebody tell me how I
> must
> > exactly configure my SCSI devices? Temination/initialization and so on.
> > Thanks a lot for your help.

> > Semmelmann Andreas:

Clustering Test Lab with cheap components especially SCSI termination/configuration

Post by Andreas Semmelman » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 16:26:49

Hi Geoff.

Ive tried your solution, but I dont get this thing to work. Ive the
following SCSI configuration:

SCSI Controller 1/HOST:CLST1

SCSI ID: 7
Parity Check: Enabled
Termination: Ultra2-LVD/SE Connector: Enabled
Fast/Ultra-SE Connector: Low ON/High ON

SCSI Device Configuration (only ID 0 to 7 are configured as below)
Sync Transfer Rate    80MB/s
Initiate Wide Negotiation: Yes
Enable Disconnection: Yes
Send Start Unit Command: No
Enable Write Back Cache: No
BIOS Multiple LUN Support: No
Include in BIOS Scan: Yes

Advanced Configuration:
Reset SCSI Bus at IC Initialization: Disabled

SCSI Controller 2/HOST:CLST2

SCSI ID: 6
Parity Check: Enabled
Termination: Ultra2-LVD/SE Connector: Enabled
Fast/Ultra-SE Connector: Low ON/High ON

SCSI Device Configuration (only ID 0 to 7 are configured as below)
Sync Transfer Rate    80MB/s
Initiate Wide Negotiation: Yes
Enable Disconnection: Yes
Send Start Unit Command: No
Enable Write Back Cache: No
BIOS Multiple LUN Support: No
Include in BIOS Scan: Yes

Advanced Configuration:
Reset SCSI Bus at IC Initialization: Disabled

SCSI-IDs:
ID 2: external Drive 1
ID 3: external Drive 2
ID 6: Controller of Host 2
ID 7: Controller of Host 1

In the SCSI-Configuration Utility I see only my SCSI-Adapter. There are no
SCSI-Drives on both Clients! What have I missed? Ive booted up like you
said.

> Change one controller to SCSI ID 6.
> Both controllers should terminate the bus.
> Disable all on-board write caching on both controllers.
> To boot the system, power up one machine and hold it at the BIOS prompt.
> Fully boot the other one, then finish booting the first one.

> --
> Geoff N. Hiten
> Senior Database Administrator
> Careerbuilder.com

> > Hello Folks.

> > I ve setup two servers with internal IDE-Drives and in each machine an
> > Adaptec 2940u2W with two external drives on one bus. I didnt get this
> > system to a stable condition. If i boot up the machines i tooks very
long
> > time and if the machines are up they freeze. Can somebody tell me how I
> must
> > exactly configure my SCSI devices? Temination/initialization and so on.
> > Thanks a lot for your help.

> > Semmelmann Andreas:

Clustering Test Lab with cheap components especially SCSI termination/configuration

Post by Geoff N. Hite » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 20:47:59

You may want to enable the BUS RESET and SEND START UNIT properties.  Power
up one unit and hold it before booting the system.  Power up the second unit
and go into SCSI configuration.  You should be able to see the drives but
not the other controller.   You will have to initialize the drives at the
controller level and again later at the OS level.  IF you are still having
trouble, pull the second host and terminate the SCSI bus.  Check again and
see if you can see the drives.  Do this on both hosts.

--
Geoff N. Hiten
Senior Database Administrator
Careerbuilder.com

> Hi Geoff.

> Ive tried your solution, but I dont get this thing to work. Ive the
> following SCSI configuration:

> SCSI Controller 1/HOST:CLST1

> SCSI ID: 7
> Parity Check: Enabled
> Termination: Ultra2-LVD/SE Connector: Enabled
> Fast/Ultra-SE Connector: Low ON/High ON

> SCSI Device Configuration (only ID 0 to 7 are configured as below)
> Sync Transfer Rate    80MB/s
> Initiate Wide Negotiation: Yes
> Enable Disconnection: Yes
> Send Start Unit Command: No
> Enable Write Back Cache: No
> BIOS Multiple LUN Support: No
> Include in BIOS Scan: Yes

> Advanced Configuration:
> Reset SCSI Bus at IC Initialization: Disabled

> SCSI Controller 2/HOST:CLST2

> SCSI ID: 6
> Parity Check: Enabled
> Termination: Ultra2-LVD/SE Connector: Enabled
> Fast/Ultra-SE Connector: Low ON/High ON

> SCSI Device Configuration (only ID 0 to 7 are configured as below)
> Sync Transfer Rate    80MB/s
> Initiate Wide Negotiation: Yes
> Enable Disconnection: Yes
> Send Start Unit Command: No
> Enable Write Back Cache: No
> BIOS Multiple LUN Support: No
> Include in BIOS Scan: Yes

> Advanced Configuration:
> Reset SCSI Bus at IC Initialization: Disabled

> SCSI-IDs:
> ID 2: external Drive 1
> ID 3: external Drive 2
> ID 6: Controller of Host 2
> ID 7: Controller of Host 1

> In the SCSI-Configuration Utility I see only my SCSI-Adapter. There are no
> SCSI-Drives on both Clients! What have I missed? Ive booted up like you
> said.

> > Change one controller to SCSI ID 6.
> > Both controllers should terminate the bus.
> > Disable all on-board write caching on both controllers.
> > To boot the system, power up one machine and hold it at the BIOS prompt.
> > Fully boot the other one, then finish booting the first one.

> > --
> > Geoff N. Hiten
> > Senior Database Administrator
> > Careerbuilder.com

message

> > > Hello Folks.

> > > I ve setup two servers with internal IDE-Drives and in each machine
an
> > > Adaptec 2940u2W with two external drives on one bus. I didnt get this
> > > system to a stable condition. If i boot up the machines i tooks very
> long
> > > time and if the machines are up they freeze. Can somebody tell me how
> > must
> > > exactly configure my SCSI devices? Temination/initialization and so
on.
> > > Thanks a lot for your help.

> > > Semmelmann Andreas:

Clustering Test Lab with cheap components especially SCSI termination/configuration

Post by Andreas Semmelman » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 14:53:04

Hello.

Ive now found the solution. Ive tried to work with two external
SCSI-Subsystem chasis from SUN with an "in" and "out" connector. It seems,
that this will only work in a one way. Ive connect the drives directly to
the controllers, and now i can access the drives without hangng or freezing
the machine.

But i have a new Problem right now. I can copy files from one machine to one
SCSI-Drive. On this Machine i see the files and folders, but on the other
machine I didnt see this files. I see only the files the second machine has
copied to this drive! Is this the normal behaviour? Must I set an option
anywhere? Hope you can clear my thougths.

> [...]

no
> > SCSI-Drives on both Clients! What have I missed? Ive booted up like you
> > said.

> > > Change one controller to SCSI ID 6.
> > > Both controllers should terminate the bus.
> > > Disable all on-board write caching on both controllers.
> > > To boot the system, power up one machine and hold it at the BIOS
prompt.
> > > Fully boot the other one, then finish booting the first one.

> > > --
> > > Geoff N. Hiten
> > > Senior Database Administrator
> > > Careerbuilder.com

> message

> an
> > long
> > > must
> on.

Clustering Test Lab with cheap components especially SCSI termination/configuration

Post by Nelso » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 13:41:29

I don't have a solution, but I have the same problem as
you do.  I have a configuration similar to yours and not
seeing the files is not normal behaviour.  This will
corrupt your file system if you fail over (move) the
cluster back and forth writing data in between...  See the
posting at Jun 14 4:09PM - "NodeA data written..."
Please if you find an answer let me know...
Thank you

1. Cluster Component Candidate Testing versus Qualifying for Microsoft Validated Configurations

Does anyone have any insight as to what the differences are between "passing
Cluster Component Candidate testing" and not qualifying for Microsoft
Cluster support services, i.e. implementing a "validated configuration"?

I have a client that wants to use their existing Network Appliance equipment
with their SQL Servers as part of an overall disaster recovery initiative,
which may or may not include clustering.  They are concerned that by using
NetApp equipment in an invalid configuration will disqualify them from
Microsoft Cluster support services.  Has anyone had any experience with
NetApp in this environment?

I know very little about Network Appliance hardware, so any help anyone
could provide, pros/cons/gotchas etc., would be great!

Mark

2. Character Set & Sort Order

3. Where to buy Test-Lab-Hardware for cluster?

4. Wanted: VFP Programmer in Balto, MD

5. Computers CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP

6. FPW2.6/SQL Bookls

7. TEST TEST TEST TEST TEST TEST TEST TEST TEST TEST TEST

8. Pardox or Access Help

9. REDUNDANT NARROW DIFFERENTIAL TWIN-TAIL SCSI BUS CONFIGURATION

10. Filemaker 5.0 Server SCSI RAID Configurations

11. setting up cluster lab at home

12. Installing Full Cluster without heartbeat and Raid or SCSI-System