searching multiple text fields

Post by raghur » Thu, 26 Jul 2001 13:18:33

Hi.
I need to build a search engine where users can query records on
multiple search parameters eg..song title, artiste,album,composer.
the search results should include imperfect matches too..
is there a better way than holding all these attributes as fields in a
table and doing a query on that table.. the approach seems inefficient
since it needs a full table scan.. i would have considered using an
index table of keywords if it were querying a single field but am not
sure if that approach is efficient when multiple fields are involved.
thanks
raghu

searching multiple text fields

Post by BP Margoli » Thu, 26 Jul 2001 15:18:50

Raghu,

Check out the documentation on Full Text Indexing in the SQL Server Books
Online.

BP Margolin
Please reply only to the newsgroups.

Quote:> Hi.
> I need to build a search engine where users can query records on
> multiple search parameters eg..song title, artiste,album,composer.
> the search results should include imperfect matches too..
> is there a better way than holding all these attributes as fields in a
> table and doing a query on that table.. the approach seems inefficient
> since it needs a full table scan.. i would have considered using an
> index table of keywords if it were querying a single field but am not
> sure if that approach is efficient when multiple fields are involved.
> thanks
> raghu

searching multiple text fields

Post by raghur » Fri, 27 Jul 2001 05:02:06

Thanks. I did go through the full text documentation.
As i understand, full text would work great if i worked with a single
field..but how will the rdbms map a keyword to a field in a table when
i am talking about multiple fields.. would i still be better of with
full text search
raghu

> Raghu,

> Check out the documentation on Full Text Indexing in the SQL Server Books
> Online.

> BP Margolin
> Please reply only to the newsgroups.
> When posting, inclusion of SQL (CREATE TABLE ..., INSERT ..., etc.) which
> can be cut and pasted into Query Analyzer is appreciated.

> > Hi.
> > I need to build a search engine where users can query records on
> > multiple search parameters eg..song title, artiste,album,composer.
> > the search results should include imperfect matches too..
> > is there a better way than holding all these attributes as fields in a
> > table and doing a query on that table.. the approach seems inefficient
> > since it needs a full table scan.. i would have considered using an
> > index table of keywords if it were querying a single field but am not
> > sure if that approach is efficient when multiple fields are involved.
> > thanks
> > raghu

searching multiple text fields

Post by BP Margoli » Fri, 27 Jul 2001 08:02:39

Raghu,

SELECT ...
FROM ...
WHERE CONTAINS ...
OR          CONTAINS ...
OR          CONTAINS ...

BP Margolin
Please reply only to the newsgroups.

> Thanks. I did go through the full text documentation.
> As i understand, full text would work great if i worked with a single
> field..but how will the rdbms map a keyword to a field in a table when
> i am talking about multiple fields.. would i still be better of with
> full text search
> raghu

> > Raghu,

> > Check out the documentation on Full Text Indexing in the SQL Server
Books
> > Online.

> > BP Margolin
> > Please reply only to the newsgroups.
> > When posting, inclusion of SQL (CREATE TABLE ..., INSERT ..., etc.)
which
> > can be cut and pasted into Query Analyzer is appreciated.

> > > Hi.
> > > I need to build a search engine where users can query records on
> > > multiple search parameters eg..song title, artiste,album,composer.
> > > the search results should include imperfect matches too..
> > > is there a better way than holding all these attributes as fields in a
> > > table and doing a query on that table.. the approach seems inefficient
> > > since it needs a full table scan.. i would have considered using an
> > > index table of keywords if it were querying a single field but am not
> > > sure if that approach is efficient when multiple fields are involved.
> > > thanks
> > > raghu

searching multiple text fields

Post by raghur » Sat, 28 Jul 2001 02:06:36

thanks.. that does solve it.

> Raghu,

> SELECT ...
> FROM ...
> WHERE CONTAINS ...
> OR          CONTAINS ...
> OR          CONTAINS ...

>     -------------------------------------------
> BP Margolin
> Please reply only to the newsgroups.
> When posting, inclusion of SQL (CREATE TABLE ..., INSERT ..., etc.) which
> can be cut and pasted into Query Analyzer is appreciated.

> > Thanks. I did go through the full text documentation.
> > As i understand, full text would work great if i worked with a single
> > field..but how will the rdbms map a keyword to a field in a table when
> > i am talking about multiple fields.. would i still be better of with
> > full text search
> > raghu

> > > Raghu,

> > > Check out the documentation on Full Text Indexing in the SQL Server
>  Books
> > > Online.

> > > BP Margolin
> > > Please reply only to the newsgroups.
> > > When posting, inclusion of SQL (CREATE TABLE ..., INSERT ..., etc.)
>  which
> > > can be cut and pasted into Query Analyzer is appreciated.

1. Context: searching multiple text fields in a single query

Hello:

I plan to use Context in my application, currently in the design stage.
Trying to determine which method is most appropriate.  A two part question
follows:

Part I:

I would like to use the in-memory method; it seems as if it must be the most
efficient approach, and CTX_QUERY.FETCH_HIT would be convenient for my
application (web-based, with an incrementally displayed result list page).

However, I'd like to be able to allow the user to search multiple text
fields in a single query.  Is one-step the only approach that will allow
multiple text fields in a single query?

Part II:

There are two types of multiple text queries that I can envision.  One is to
allow the user to type in a text string for two or more text fields.
Obviously this would involve querying multiple policies.

A second type is to allow the user to type a single string and then search
that same string against multiple fields.  In other text search engines I
can do this easily.  Can this be done easily with ConText or will I have to
create a policy for each text field and then manufacture a one-step query
with multiple CONTAIN function calls in the WHERE clause?

Many thanks!
Tammie

Tammie Nelson-Stringer
Domain technologies

2. ANN: JROAD (Java Relation-Object Application for Developers) Was Recently Updated

3. Searching multiple fields with the Excalibur search engine??

4. How can I format a Social Security Number in a Select statement.

5. web one entry for multiple field search??multiple

6. UCLA Extension Client/Server Courses

7. full text search on access text field

8. Novell Database Products

9. full text search on a access text data field

10. Finding a word in a single text field (Search +s fields at once)

11. Breaking ntext field into multiple smaller text fields

12. Using a text field to combine multiple varchar(255) fields

13. Full Text Searching with multiple tables????